26 July 2016
Smoked Mackerel Pasta Salad
1. Heat the oven to 190 degrees or 170 degrees fan oven. Deseed the peppers and cut them into quarters. Lightly oil a baking tray and cook for 30-40 minutes, or until the peppers are soft and the skins begin to blacken. Allow to cool, peel off the skins and chop roughly. 2. Meanwhile, bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet, until it is al dente. Drain the pasta and place under running cold water to cool, then set to one side.
3. Cook the eggs in boiling water until they are hard boiled, then run under cold water and allow to cool.
4. Top and tail the green beans and cut into short lengths. Cut the courgette in half lengthways and cut into thin slices. Steam them both for just 2-3 minutes then cool under running cold water and set aside.
5. To prepare the dressing, spoon the yoghurt, crème fraiche and mustards into a small bowl and stir together. Squeeze in 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, add the olive oil, season with salt and black pepper and whisk well together. Chop the dill finely and stir it in.
6. Chop the cucumber and the tomatoes into small pieces, chop the spring onions and stir them into the pasta along with the green beans, courgette, red pepper and halved black olives. Pour in the dressing and combine well together. Remove the skin and any bones from the smoked mackerel fillets and flake into the pasta, stirring again.
Serve garnished with the eggs, peeled and cut into wedges, and chopped chives.
A dish of this tasty pasta salad with smoked mackerel is just the thing to share for summer lunches, barbecues and picnics! It is filling, with lots of healthy vegetables, and very simple to make.