Rent increase experiences please | ExpatWoman.com

Rent increase experiences please

Latest post on 16 May 2013 - 15:22

Hi all
We are coming up to renewal of our rent on The Pearl and the LL wants to raise the rent by 15%. I recognize that we have been paying a really good rent for the last 2 years and that rents have risen quite a bit, but I thought that LL's could only raise the rent by a max of 10%? The management company told me this (but are now denying all knowledge) and I have had 2 other LL"s tell me the same. What are other people's experiences of rent increases here?
Thanks in advance

Latest post on 19 May 2013 - 12:16
From what DH has been told the old rule about only a certain percentage of rent increase being allowed does not hold anymore. Our rent has literally jumped and we are in the process of looking for a new place (just when I felt settled and happy in the present house :(
Latest post on 18 May 2013 - 16:39
Thank you both for your replies - it's a shame that we don't have a housing committee like RERA in Dubai! I personally know one tenant whose rent went up 40% last year for his villa in a compound. Hé had nothing else to do but move as his company didn't accept thé new privé. It is like that. Fare or not , but we are not at home and it is not us who Will make thé rules hère.
Latest post on 17 May 2013 - 23:20
Thank you both for your replies - it's a shame that we don't have a housing committee like RERA in Dubai!
Latest post on 16 May 2013 - 22:32
Hello, I looked into this a bit recently as my rent went up 12.5%. It's true that rents can only be raised by 10% but from all that I read it only applies to commercial property, not residential. I couldn't find anything official or semi-official which said residential rent increases were capped. Sorry, but hope that helps..
Latest post on 16 May 2013 - 15:49
Hi chizz I was also under the impression the rent could only rise by 10% but contract runs out 5th June, last month our LL advised us the rent was going up by 12.5% as we had decided we were moving off the Pearl anyway I didn't look into this. Sorry I'm really not much help but it looks like the LL's on the Pearl can do what they like