Moving to Dubai . . Family needing advice!! | ExpatWoman.com

Moving to Dubai . . Family needing advice!!

Latest post on 31 May 2013 - 19:35
Thank you everybody for the very helpful information!! And Claire I will definately email you to find out more about your experience.
Latest post on 31 May 2013 - 09:17
Hi I agree with Thunderbird. We have just been through the process of finding a school as we move out in August. We went for a discovery trip in May and got a feel for the area. To be honest, to me the housing appears to be set up quite similar in all of the areas, you just choose the area/price you like best. We are being put up for one month when we get there so can choose an area when we are out there, either near the school or near work. As for expats, well the few we managed to meet in the week were very lovely and helpful in offering advice and even showing around. I think (and hopefully I am not wrong) if you are open to people you will find everyone very friendly. If you want to know more about the school process there is probably a forum on here about them or you can mail me mrsclairepriceatgmaildotcom I am happy to share our experience. Good luck with your move!
Latest post on 31 May 2013 - 07:32
I would recommend firstly finding out where your husband will be working, then your next job will be trying to find a position in a school for your daughter, which can be difficult here in Dubai. Once you have a school place you can then find an area to live. Finding a school will be your biggest challenge and I would start that process immediately. You will find lots of threads regarding the topic of schools and nurseries on this site which should be of help to you
Latest post on 31 May 2013 - 06:57
Good luck with your move... You'll get tons of advice on here... Try and find out where your husband will be working and then specific locations can be better recommended :) In the mean time we've featured all of the popular areas here with a write up of each area... http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_property_guide.aspx Happy reading!
Latest post on 31 May 2013 - 04:52
Looking for advice re good areas to live with lots of ex pats as we won't know anyone, advice on schools, toddler groups etc. You'd be hard-pressed to find an area without a lot of expats! Everyone is an expat here. Locals make up only 5 percent of Dubai, and 10-15% overall of the UAE population.
Latest post on 31 May 2013 - 01:00
Thank you for that. I will see what the morning brings.
Latest post on 31 May 2013 - 00:35
Once your husband has an offer you can worry about where to live. Some companies may even allocate accommodation in a particular area. Ours did. Given the traffic it is best to live close to work if at all possible. I am sure you will get more answers in the morning-it is after midnight and the weekend here.
Latest post on 31 May 2013 - 00:22
We are in discussions with agencies at the moment, my husband will be in a permanent position and I will be working on a flexible basis. We haven't chosen a specific area yet, was hoping to find out more about which areas were 'the best' on here. It's just all quite scary and I want to make sure we choose thd best options for our family, this forum seems like a great place to get that feedbsck
Latest post on 31 May 2013 - 00:06
Hi there, I think you will find lots of helpful information on this board but to help answer some of your questions can you advise, where you will be working and what is your housing allowance. This will help advise on location and schools.
Latest post on 30 May 2013 - 23:10
Myself, my husband and our three year old daughter are moving to Dubai in December. My husband is an engineer and I am a nurse. Looking for advice re good areas to live with lots of ex pats as we won't know anyone, advice on schools, toddler groups etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY