Has anyone got a shy / sensitive todder? | ExpatWoman.com

Has anyone got a shy / sensitive todder?

Latest post on 08 June 2014 - 11:39

My two year old is extremely sensitive to just about everything and seems to get worse as the weeks go on. Play dates are a struggle as other toddlers tend to jump about everywhere and she hates people in her space, more attracted to calmer children, she is fine at home normally and outgoing; even if someone says hello she says no and shies away. I don't think she's necessarily shy but super sensitive. Has anyone experienced this, its started to wear me down?

Latest post on 17 June 2014 - 17:11
http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test_child.htm There is this test, try it :) I read the book & it made lots of sense, there is also a book called Raising Your Spirited Child By Mary Sheedy, it has several chapters about sensitive children. I'm not sure about your DD, but my son is sensitive to many other things, including food, noise, strangers like hair dresser touching him & so on. It does get better, try not to worry hun, I know it's easier said than done, I've been there xx <em>edited by wickedangel_78 on 17/06/2014</em>
Latest post on 17 June 2014 - 12:41
I do. My son is like that.
Latest post on 17 June 2014 - 11:37
Thanks Wickedangel, your response made me feel that there may be light at the end of the tunnel. She is exactly as you describe your DS, I think people think its really odd that she doesn't throw herself into play groups and the like and it can be really upsetting. I also need to find her some calmer friends but I don't think i've ever met any quieter toddlers! She has built some relationships at nursery but it takes her a long time to warm up. She is also a perfectionist and likes to practice doing things before she shows others she can do them and again she prefers older children. Its hard not to worry and i hate to say it but to compare with other children but fingers crossed she will get there!
Latest post on 15 June 2014 - 12:22
DS was the same at that age, after attending classes for almost 2 yrs at kidville I ended up crying like a baby as I couldn't take it anymore loool. Anyways when he was 3 they advised me to leave & see how it goes, he cried for few mins at 1st & refused to join in, they didn't pressure him, after 3 classes of attending alone he was fine, but he was still a pain with strangers, hiding his face behind me, refusing to play with kids he didn't know, getting overwhelmed in crowded places, & so on He started school in sept last year, it took him 3 months of crying on & off, not joining in, talking to his teachers only.. Now he is 4.5 yrs, he is so outgoing, he makes friends easily, he talks to adults, shares his opinion openly, orders his own food ... School had a very positive influence on him, I explained his traits to them, he is advanced for his age, & cautious by nature,I told them clearly that academics is not important for us, we wanted them to work on his social anxiety. He didn't make friends until the end of the 2nd semester, but it was a huge step forward. At the age of 2 we used to go out almost everyday, attend toddlers classes, go to parks & play areas, but we used to choose classes with small number of kids & we only went to play areas on weekdays & we avoided weekends. I also met new mums when he was 3 & I started to arrange small play dates. We didn't pressure hi. Or force him to play with other kids, when he used to get overwhelmed I used to step in & join the kids in playing. I spent several toddlers classes carrying him & looking from the window, or sitting with him in the corner to watch the other kids. He is also a perfectionist by nature, he hated doing something wrong, this is why he didn't act spontaneously, now he is older he is more confident with his physical abilities, he's not scared anymore to try new activities He was also more interested in older children, his best friend is 4 yrs older than him, but now he is much better with younger kids as he knows how to lead them ;) She is still young, I know it is difficult especially when you compare her to other children her age. It might take some time by I think she will be fine when she is older xx
Latest post on 08 June 2014 - 12:06
My DS was a nightmare as a toddler outside our home. He had to be virtually dragged to playgroup, mum and tots as he was so shy to the point where he developed this strange self conscious way of walking with head jutting forward and legs apart, knees stiff. If anyone looked at him the wrong way, he burst into tears and came running back to me burying his face in my skirts!! I despaired as his older sister was the complete opposite! Your DD is still really a baby, discovering her world. Just be patient and let her do things at her own pace. Keep taking her to play dates/mum and toddler days etc. My son had to be encouraged right through his early childhood. If I had left him to his own devices he wouldn't have done anything outside going to school or playing at home so at 6, he was introduced to Scouting. He is now 32, working as an architect in Dubai and runs a Scout troop there. Your DD will be fine, she just needs your constant reassurance and encouragement. :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY