Brit mum arrived last week in Doha and MUST find a school for Grade 9/Year 10 son with ADD but no extra support needed | ExpatWoman.com

Brit mum arrived last week in Doha and MUST find a school for Grade 9/Year 10 son with ADD but no extra support needed

Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 11:47

Hi All

I would love some recommendations on schools as we have been turned down by 1 school already and I am becoming increasingly concerned that not only places are hard to find for secondary but also as my sons reports highlight he has ADD (ADHD in UK terms) this may affect his applications?

I would really appreciate any mums & teachers who could recommend Doha schools that teach in English with a good level of western expats and who appear to be sympathetic to ADD or at least understand that this should not impact in his learning especially as class sizes are a lot smaller than UK comprehensives!

He is a great kid who likes to debate on politics, human rights etc but has been academically challenged over the last year due to poor teaching and instability of knowing he was going to be moving abroad and not really through his own choice!

regards to all readers

M x

Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 01:29
Hi illyuk I was wondering if you managed to get a school place for your son. I am trying to get a place for DD in Year6/Grade5. She required support from SALT initially but has done very well since. A couple of schools have not accepted her on the basis of previous history though I have explained that she does not need any support now. Whereintheworld, will you mind sharing the details of the group that you mentioned, please. I have googled ync but couldn't get anything. Many thanks.
Latest post on 12 July 2014 - 19:24
ync Try contacting the group above for advise .Bear in mind the response may be slow because most families are on holiday. Unfortunately Doha schools are so over subscribed they do not look kindly on children with different learning styles. Newton Barwa may be an option , though location and reputation of the organisation ( it is a brand new school ) is far from ideal it may be what you run with You could consider homeschooling which has a good network in Doha. Sorry I can't be more positive but schooling on Doha is very tricky.
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 17:52
I'm not sure, May be it is better to ask the school directly. on the website expat woman qatar there is this page http://www.expatwoman.com/qatar/monthly_qatar_guide_education_schools_6180.aspx take a look, it might help you. anyhow consider what has been aswered to you: it would be difficult, if not impossible, to find a place now. ciao, Eleonor Eleonor Just checked the website it appears its only primary years? My son will be in yr 10/grade 9 depending on where you live in Doha, would you maybe try Loydence Academy, because they might have places and the impression I got it that they take care of children very much. eleonor. -------------------- Hi All I would love some recommendations on schools as we have been turned down by 1 school already and I am becoming increasingly concerned that not only places are hard to find for secondary but also as my sons reports highlight he has ADD (ADHD in UK terms) this may affect his applications?
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 17:33
Sorry to tell you but you have no chance of getting a place this September for any child , which means the next entries are Sept 2015. Also, from 5 years experience in Doha, unless a kid has minor dyslexia no school will even look at him. We have known people come and leave because of such situations
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 17:02
Eleonor Just checked the website it appears its only primary years? My son will be in yr 10/grade 9 depending on where you live in Doha, would you maybe try Loydence Academy, because they might have places and the impression I got it that they take care of children very much. eleonor. -------------------- Hi All I would love some recommendations on schools as we have been turned down by 1 school already and I am becoming increasingly concerned that not only places are hard to find for secondary but also as my sons reports highlight he has ADD (ADHD in UK terms) this may affect his applications?
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 17:00
Hi Eleonor Thanks for the response, I havent heard of Loydence but will check them out. We are currently based in Al Rayyan but this may change in a few months. Regards M x depending on where you live in Doha, would you maybe try Loydence Academy, because they might have places and the impression I got it that they take care of children very much. eleonor. -------------------- Hi All I would love some recommendations on schools as we have been turned down by 1 school already and I am becoming increasingly concerned that not only places are hard to find for secondary but also as my sons reports highlight he has ADD (ADHD in UK terms) this may affect his applications?
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 16:58
Hi jdcgl It was the ISLQ that declined our application, ACS is on my list to check out and apply. Ive heard its best just to apply everywhere? regards M x Have you tried the International School of London or ACS?
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 15:45
depending on where you live in Doha, would you maybe try Loydence Academy, because they might have places and the impression I got it that they take care of children very much. eleonor. -------------------- Hi All I would love some recommendations on schools as we have been turned down by 1 school already and I am becoming increasingly concerned that not only places are hard to find for secondary but also as my sons reports highlight he has ADD (ADHD in UK terms) this may affect his applications?
Latest post on 07 July 2014 - 14:45
Have you tried the International School of London or ACS?