Has anyone taken the tram? | ExpatWoman.com

Has anyone taken the tram?

Latest post on 15 November 2014 - 00:20

Took the tram today and there are still a lot of glitches. People were buying tickets but no one checking them, no turnstiles like the metro. If we got on for free, no one would have noticed. There was no point in taking it back since we would have to take the whole route to get home. They should've had a trolley, san francisco style.

Latest post on 16 December 2014 - 06:52
I know this thread is a little dated, but the 'tap on/tap off' is a very familiar concept to some of us, no need for turnstiles. I was on the other night and there was an inspector checking nol cards. So while technically you could have a free ride - you do run the risk of being caught.
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 20:06
I have been on it many times and it's always been busy.
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 20:02
That's fabulous news! and 300,000+ took it in the first month! Brilliant!
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 20:00
[b'>We took it yesterday and didn't like it. To get from JBR 2 to JBR 1 had to go all the way to Marina metro and change there. [/b'>Huge waste of time, it runs very slowly, only one machine to buy tickets and there were queues on every station, check in/check out point is inconveniently located and I couldn't even find it without asking. Won't use it again. edited by Alemania on 15/11/2014 They have another tram now just started that goes around the loop JLT, Marina, JBR1 and 2.
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 07:45
LOL @ slow and boring. It's a tram, not a roller coaster. this made me laugh out loud :) AM: that's not bad at all, I think I'll do that!
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 23:59
LOL @ slow and boring. It's a tram, not a roller coaster.
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 21:57
Beebers it took me about 30 mins in total coming home from MoE (3 Dirham total cost). 10 mins up to Marina Station on metro. Then I had to wait 10 mins in Marina tram Station as I'd just missed one. Then about 10 mins up to JBR2. If you are lucky with the timings I think it could be done in around 20 mins. On the way there take off 5 mins travel time as the tram journey is shorter. <em>edited by Alismum on 20/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 19:12
AM, that is great for your son. I think we live across the street from each other, based on your posts. How long does it take you to get to MOE? That actually sounds useful to me at the moment. <em>edited by Beebers on 20/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 18:07
I have been on the tram a few times now as it's on my doorstep and really convenient. My son has to go to Knowledge Village every day so it's been a Godsend for him. Prior to the tram he was walking to the metro and having to catch a bus as well. I fully expected it to be empty but I even saw businessmen in suits taking it on the mornings I have been on it. I noticed it was faster yesterday as well, I went up to MoE on tram and metro and did all my shopping, so yes I am one of the happy ones, no complaints from me. :)
Latest post on 18 November 2014 - 14:36
We tried it yesterday, I have visitors & thought it would be fun to try the newest thing. We parked at the Palm Metro car park & walked over to the tram stop. I'd read somewhere that the tickets were Dhs. 2 for any length of ride & thought that was a great idea. What I didn't read (or understand) was that the ticket itself is Dhs. 2 but has no value for travel, so on top of that you have to pay for the travel. So for two of us to go from Palm Jumeirah to Marina Mall & back was going to be Dhs. 20. I thought that was a bit expensive for what it was. I'm happy to pay prices, but thought that was a bit much. But decided to proceed anyway as I had a guest, but neither of the machines on our side were working, so was told to go to the other side. The tram had arrived now, but she told me it didn't matter, I could just get the next one 20 minutes later! Again I persevered, went to the other side, tried to pay but the man said he didn't have change for a 100 note & as I only had a 10 Dhs note otherwise, decided it was all too much effort & gave up. So disappointed, gave up & took the car. Won't be bothering again, shame really.
Latest post on 16 November 2014 - 21:19
I took it on Saturday just to try it. It was alright as far as trams go - the trams in europe don't have turnstiles and rely on trust - they will probably have random checks. It is very slow, however I prefer slow and safe - it's very very jerky. What I didn't like is that the driver doesn't seem to have the option to wait for stragglers (as drivers of other trams do) and that there are big gaps of time from one tram to the other. If it was 6 minutes fine but mine was almost 20 minutes between trams. I could have realistically walked to where I was going. JBR2-marina mall - in that time.
Latest post on 16 November 2014 - 19:48
I don't see it being primarily a tourist thing, given that it provides non-driving access to the heart of JBR. Along with most of the people we know, for years we've actively avoided going anywhere near JBR or the Marina in the evenings because of the appalling traffic, but we'd seriously consider going there in the evenings *now*, simply because we could use the tram rather than drive. The sheer slowness of the tram is a common refrain from the people we know who have used it, though. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 16/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 16 November 2014 - 14:38
It's boring? lol what did you want? Clowns and jugglers to make it interesting? I think to be honest, it's more of a tourist thing.
Latest post on 16 November 2014 - 14:29
Can't wait!
Latest post on 16 November 2014 - 09:10
We gave it a go on Friday night, walked from Torch Tower to Marina Mall for dinner and decided to get it home as there were 6 of us, so needed two cabs anyway. First issue faced is you have to walk down the car driveway to get to the tram bridge, not sidewalks. We had two pushchairs with us so headed for the lift which doesn't seem to have been completed yet and also there is no escalator just steps. So we then had to navigate the road outside Marina Mall which is chaotic at best. When inside the ticket machines were only working for Nol so guy showed us to the other platform to buy the ticket. That machine was not accepting cards or giving change, tickets then take forever to print, 15-20 seconds per ticket so waiting for 5 took a while. We weren't really sure what to do with the ticket, as there are some machines that i think you should scan in and out on but we didn't, nobody checked the tickets. We were only on for two stops, it seems most were on for the ride and exploring, as a result it was packed. Overall it was fine for our little ride home but after 2 months of 'testing' i would have expected a lot better for the launch week. Now the flip of it as a road user is that RTA need to sort out the traffic lights! If you miss the lights at the junction with Mag 218 & Marina Heights now you are in for a 6-8 minute wait, there are long periods with no tram that none of the traffic is moving, everybody just sat staring at red lights. The whole area is just a mare now!
Latest post on 16 November 2014 - 08:14
My DD was dying to get on it so I took her but have to agree, it was Sooo slow and I heard many complaining it was "boring"... I think most were like us, not riding out of necessity. Saw ppl walking faster thsn we were going. The lack of turnstiles makes no sense. Nobody checked our cards, agree could have gotten a free ride for sure. Agree too that it's more similar to metro than I was expecting. She was quite disappointed but at least it wasn't hot and she got some cool pictures for her school mates.
Latest post on 16 November 2014 - 03:17
Do you have to buy a separate ticket or can you use a NOL card? You can use your NOL card and top it up there too.
Latest post on 16 November 2014 - 01:02
Hey We visited today and I must say it is a huge disappointment. Sadly it wasn't what I wanted when they said 'Tram', basically it looks, feels and is pretty much the same as the metro. No wow factor or what I always remembered about a tram. It is quite slow, hazardous for crossings, the waiting time between trams is too slow and you might as well walk. It was only 6pm waiting at JBR 2 and we just missed the tram as we were crossing the road, and when we looked up to see when the next one was coming, it said 23 minutes!!! Sadly money not well spent.
Latest post on 15 November 2014 - 10:36
Do you have to buy a separate ticket or can you use a NOL card?
Latest post on 15 November 2014 - 09:42
We took it yesterday and didn't like it. To get from JBR 2 to JBR 1 had to go all the way to Marina metro and change there. Huge waste of time, it runs very slowly, only one machine to buy tickets and there were queues on every station, check in/check out point is inconveniently located and I couldn't even find it without asking. Won't use it again. <em>edited by Alemania on 15/11/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY