advice/tips from FS1 mums | ExpatWoman.com

advice/tips from FS1 mums

Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 10:05
It's the year before reception (so essentially pre-school) in the English National curriculum. Age 3-4.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 09:27
What is fs1? Is it like kg or reception?
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 18:49
Ilovewine I can't believe it's that time already! :thinking:
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 18:39
Trolley bags are not allowed in most schools as its hard for children to carry them up the steps (and most schools have some steps somewhere)... i suppose also because there will always be those mischievous kids who would run the trolley bags along the corridors and get hurt in the process... In any case FS 1 children dont have much in their bags so they are not that heavy to carry. Give your child finger food as its less messy and they are able to finish the lunch within the break time... label everything, i learnt this the hard way... hehe...!
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 09:40
thank you everyone - and Apricot! - for all the information. i feel much better about it all. i will check the school's website. i have loads of time so will take my time to find something suitable. thanks again ladies.
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 00:19
i thought one schoolbag that can take his lunch goodies. less things to lose or misplace and less things for him to carry. but then again, it's only into school and out of school that he will carry it (read: mum will carry it) because they stay in one class the whole day. stupid question: do they have any books to carry from home to school? edited by ilovewine on 23/11/2014 Each school has its own policies about backpacks and uniforms, often posted on their website. My FS1 student can't use a trolley bag and his backpack should fit within a certain color scheme (although I have seen most students ignore the color scheme rule!). His PBK backpack (medium size) has enough room for the matching PBK lunchbag and any folders/books/ PE kit bag that needs to be transported to/from school. The backpack stays in his cubby all day, but he is constantly on the move between different class subjects like phonics, French, music, Arabic, PE, swimming, library visit. I do plan to eventually change the lunchbag for a small cooler box, probably when the backpack needs replacing :) Yes, there are a lot of books that go back and forth. Daily: homework/ parent communication book, 3 weekly reading books. 2-3 times a week: Ministry textbook, workbook and assignments for Arabic and Islamic. (Same for the Francophone students.) Weekly: library books, spelling book, swim bag. Btw, I bought my kids' backpacks and lunch bags from the bargain corner of PBK in Dubai. It so happened that they preferred the discontinued style. If you have SnS, look out for LL Bean's clearance on school backpacks, known for their rugged durability. During my last trip back home, I bought loads of socks (daily and PE) in the school uniform colors and bought appropriate daily and PE shoes. I use a black Sharpie or other permanent felt tip marker to label most items, apart from the uniform clothes which came with personalized iron-on labels, and so far it has worked well.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 21:37
Yes, check with the school. Ours want the younger years just to buy the issued book bag ( which fits readers, communication book, school notes, homework in) and a separate lunch bag so you may not need the backpack. A large clip on toy or name tag can help your little one find their bag easily and stick on name labels are good for all plasticware and drink bottles. The school should be able to give you detailed list of what they expect re shoes, socks, hats etc.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 12:40
i thought one schoolbag that can take his lunch goodies. less things to lose or misplace and less things for him to carry. but then again, it's only into school and out of school that he will carry it (read: mum will carry it) because they stay in one class the whole day. stupid question: do they have any books to carry from home to school? ETA: but now a cooler makes perfect sense. so i have to rethink this whole thing. <em>edited by ilovewine on 23/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 12:03
I find these small cooler boxes work quite well. You can get them cheap from Carrefour and they fit an ice pack, juices and snack/lunch boxes. Plus the kids carry them separately from their school bags with less chance of spillages and they do not need to rummage through their bags come snack/lunch time. You can write his name + class on there in big letters and he can decorate with stickers. http://www.coleman.com/product/fliplidtrade-6-personal-cooler-red/5205A753G?contextCategory=8530#.VHGULIxfqB8
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 11:49
gosh thanks ladies, so much information and all very useful! i never even thought of sunscreen. he is in nursery now, and will start FS1 in school next year. i will definitely have a look at the pottery barn goodies. thanks for the suggestion.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 11:40
I never knew that some schools banned trolley bags - what is the reason? Busy corridors, bags trailing behind tripping people up. My one year old trails behind and trips people up in our school corridor, I'm hoping they don't ban him :biggrin: Awwwww bless him...that is so funny though! I guess fair argument, but I also hugely object to 3 year olds carrying these massive rucksacks on their back. I spent the majority of year 1 complaining that my daughter's bag was far too heavy for a child of her age...I honestly struggled to pick it up myself half the time!
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 11:33
I never knew that some schools banned trolley bags - what is the reason? Busy corridors, bags trailing behind tripping people up. My one year old trails behind and trips people up in our school corridor, I'm hoping they don't ban him :biggrin:
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 11:31
I love Pottery Barn Kids for lunchboxes, bags etc. My children all have PBK bento boxes with insulated bags and ice packs. As another poster says, check with the school if they have a bag policy, trolley bags are banned in a number of schools. I never knew that some schools banned trolley bags - what is the reason?
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 11:24
I love Pottery Barn Kids for lunchboxes, bags etc. My children all have PBK bento boxes with insulated bags and ice packs. As another poster says, check with the school if they have a bag policy, trolley bags are banned in a number of schools.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 11:02
Label everything with name and class details; bag, shoes, clothes, lunch boxes, you name it. They tend to lose things all the time. Keep a spare set of clothes in the school bag and let the teacher know. Sometimes they spill things on themselves. Get one of those insulated lunch boxes so you can add ice packs to keep his food fresh. Talk him through what you have given him for snack time and lunch time so he knows what to expect. Do not forget sunscreen. Some schools ask you to bring some and the teacher helps the kids to put it on before they go out. Others expect you to put it on at home in the morning. Check with the teacher which option they have. Leave a jumper in his bag. Sometimes the weather outside is mild, but the classrooms are freezing.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 10:55
Hi ilovewine, where is your child doing FS1? School or nursery? Also, have they been at nursery previously? I think it makes a difference. In terms of bags, some schools have their own school bag, so make sure you check that first. I would probably advise a trolley bag as they are so much easier for children that age to manoeuvre. For the lunch box, I would buy an insulated one, and then fill it with a plastic lunch box and tupperwares. Let your child choose the bag and lunchbox that he/she likes, which keeps them happy and excited to use it at school. In terms of uniforms - if you have a pre-set uniform then you again have no choice. If there is no uniform then i let my daughter choose what clothes she wants to wear to nursery (she is currently FS1). We end up with her wearing the same t-shirts and the same pair of Crocs over and over again, but I have found that she is very observant of what other children wear and she likes to wear the clothes that make her happy. Others may have different ideas, but for nursery in particular I like her to feel that this is something she does for herself so she can make choices - I make her wear all the pretty dresses outside of nursery! For lunchboxes, my daughter only has one break. I put in her lunch box a sandwich, some type of fruit and something like pretzels, plain cupcake, cheese sticks, yoghurt, Ritz biscuits, etc. You may find at first that your child doesn't eat at school, which is apparently very usual but eventually they will. Also, apparently if he/she is a fussy eater they may not eat the fruit at first, but once they see other children eat fruit they slowly start. I hope this helps!
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 10:38
morning ladies, DS is starting FS1 next year. i would love to hear your "if i knew then what i know now" stories on school bags, lunch boxes, snacks, school uniforms etc. first time mum here and i'm lost as to what school bag would be best, which lunch box will be big/small enough ... that kind of thing. appreciate any tips from seasoned FS1 mums. thank you!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY