Bogus traffic fine?? | ExpatWoman.com

Bogus traffic fine??

Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 12:47

Hi, is there anyway or any point in fighting a fine that actually wasn't me? I received a fine saying I swerved suddenly on Shiek Zyad Road at 3.15pm, however I was at school picking my daughter up at DESSC and I live at Silicon Oasis!!! So wasn't actually me!! So frustrated!

Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 19:45
I would definitely contest every time especially after reading your post Tim Tam that is awful moving fines; I'd ask an Arabic friend or colleague to telephone station and contest. It's back enough to get a fine when you actually deserved it let alone getting one and you not even in the area, that's just awful..sorry moving fines bit really got me going:(
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 19:20
I received one a few years ago for speeding in Fujairah, which was very clever of me as I was at work in Dubai! I called and enquired about it and they said I needed to go to the police headquarters, where I could request the photo, then a few days later come back and collect the photo. OMG by the time I did that I would have been arrested for yelling at them in frustration so I thought it better that I just pay it. I was told that often they move fines across to expats as they know they can't be bothered contesting them.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 15:00
I got a strange fine a couple of weeks ago on Emirates Road - not wearing a seat belt at 5pm in the after. I was not in Dubai on the day in question - was in Al Ain. When I contested the fine, I was told, "just pay it - it will be easier for you". I did.
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 08:02
Thanks Cornish Pixie and Tattie Bogle! You made me laugh Cornish and great idea Tattie, will be contesting it for sure!
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 06:28
It is worth contesting it. For example you could say that if you had been on SZR at that time there would be SALIK records - which there are not.
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 06:00
Thanks Cherryripe, I guess I have no way of proving where I was in my case.....glad you got yours sorted though. I presume it was a Policeman in a car that wrote the rego down wrong? Probably while was on his phone and steering with his knees. I loath this system that you are guilty until you can prove you aren't, there are too many occasions where human error is to blame but you can't do anything.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 13:31
Thanks Cherryripe, I guess I have no way of proving where I was in my case.....glad you got yours sorted though. I presume it was a Policeman in a car that wrote the rego down wrong?
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 13:18
Hubby contested a fine when his car was in a staff carpark during alleged incident. He had photo proof exit time from carpark and had to go to Police HQ near Al Mulla Plaza to state his case, but it was waived.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY