Bringing a cat to Qatar-looking for advice | ExpatWoman.com

Bringing a cat to Qatar-looking for advice

Latest post on 07 December 2014 - 23:10

i am moving to Qatar in March and I want to bring my one year old cat with me. He is an indoor cat so I would plan on keeping him indoors in Qatar too. Can anyone advise me on bringing him over. My friends think I am crazy to bring him. Any advice, opinions or experience greatly appreciated.

Latest post on 11 February 2015 - 23:11
I'm traveling with my cat all around the world and let me assure you, Qatar is one of the most welcoming countries in terms of animal relocation. No qaranteen, no rabies anti bodies test, no cargo transport obligations! My personally I wouldn't recommend to use pet relocators as they charge high for the service that you don't need! 1500 gbp for a dog sounds nonsense! The only thing you really need is the vaccination records, the microchip and the import permit. The import permit is valid 10 days and costs 10 qr! (Less than 2 euros!) it is delivered by governmental veterinary clinic at the airport area. Anybody can apply for it, just need an ID (even not a Qatar id). Once you have the permit, call the air carrier and book a place for your cat. It will travel as registed baggage. You will pay for it as for the weight excess. Upon the arrival they will not even look at your cat :) probably somebody will come to take your import permit. Probably not :) I got used to travel to Qatar airways and took my cat every time with me for summer vocations to Europe ;) if you have more questions, don't hesitate...
Latest post on 17 December 2014 - 01:34
What country are you flying from.
Latest post on 12 December 2014 - 01:09
Thanks Katya mail sent
Latest post on 11 December 2014 - 00:54
Thanks, Katya would be great to email you. Hello, Please email me - And I will give you all the details. :-) Katya Sorry had to remove my email, as started to get spam emails. I will write a post in the next couple of days, when I have more time. edited by 2nd_opossum on 10/12/2014
Latest post on 10 December 2014 - 08:43
Strongly suggest you contact the airline the cat will be flying with (I prefer KLM but I know others have used Qatar Air with no issues). They can advise what paperwork is needed for their flights. Strongly suggest you contact a pet relocator here in Qatar as Government requirements can change on short notice. You need official information in order to have a smooth, hassle free trip.
Latest post on 09 December 2014 - 22:43
Hello, Please email me - And I will give you all the details. :-) Katya Sorry had to remove my email, as started to get spam emails. I will write a post in the next couple of days, when I have more time. <em>edited by 2nd_opossum on 10/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 08 December 2014 - 16:19
Hi We brought our dog over from the UK - where you coming from? We used Qatar Vet here, they were very good. He flew as cargo with Qatar Air. In total it cost about £1500 for all vet checks in the UK and here, flight and services of relocator here and in the UK. It will prob be cheaper for a cat!
Latest post on 08 December 2014 - 13:59
you can bring your cat but be prepared quite in advance for all documents, microchip, vaccines etc. In advance means now, because it takes time before you can get the documents done. E.g. in Italy they release the "passport" for cats only after 20 days after the anti-rabbic vaccine, and the passport is necessary for beginning any other bureaucracy. Also, spend some money for a pet relocating agency in Qatar as they will provide you with the necessary documents that you cannot download. Check this forum as you will find valuable information about how to do. Good luck!
Latest post on 08 December 2014 - 10:59
You can bring the cat either as excess baggage or cargo depending on the airline. You will need to have all vaccines up to date, a recent vet health certificate, microchipped, etc. You will also need an import permit. Sometimes company PROs will help with the import permit but most of us use a pet relocation service here in Qatar. Google, you'll find a few.