covering up? | ExpatWoman.com

covering up?

Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 08:04

Hello ladies,

Do we need to cover up all the time? What options do you have during the hot months for covering? Is it easy to buy once there or should I buy items at home so I show up respecting the cutlure? Any thoughts about the dress culture for both men and women while in DH? Thanks
H

Latest post on 17 May 2015 - 08:47
My advice comes from 8 years in Qatar - some people here will find wearing sleeveless offensive and the vast majority of (non-Abiya wearing) women will have their shoulders covered.
Latest post on 16 May 2015 - 22:02
I was raised in the MiddleEast, I tell you don't wear provocative clothing.. but you can wear sleeveless, knee length skirts.. you most definitely don't have to cover your arms.. I don't.. and I am Arab American.. I say, the role of the thumb is when in doubt don't wear it.. don't wear shorts, no see-through clothing etc. other than that you will be ok..
Latest post on 07 May 2015 - 09:47
Beduins cover themselves completely with wool in the hot desert, to prevent hot reaching their body. the same concept of covering to prevent cold enter your body. At least, your body tays at 37°C and not at 50°C. Said that, covering or not much depends on which environment will you be in. But it is always a good idea to cover at least shoulders and knees and not to wear tight or revealing things. Amazing, I saw a fashion show a couple of weeks ago where students of VCU presented very provoking evening dresses. Lots of Qatari attending.
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 08:57
Depends on what you mean by 'cover up' and what you mean by all the time - you can do what you want at home and in most apartment building/compounds! Out and about you should keep arms and shoulders (both men and women) covered but not everyone bothers - depends how much you care about respecting the local culture and being stared at. It's really no hotter to have long, loose clothing on than to have hotpants on so the covering up point isn't a particular summer months issue.