Ants | ExpatWoman.com

Ants

Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 00:05

Hi all, since we moved into our new place, we have lots of ants coming out of every place possible, first normal ants which we can keep under control, but there are these little miniature ones which are hard to see, they are coming out plug sockets, we are putting powder around the area which temporarily solves the problem, then they appear from somewhere else! And i don't notice for ages because they are so tiny! Also seem to love the kitchen! Do you think we need pest control in or something?

Latest post on 29 May 2015 - 15:55
Thanks also chrissy23, helpful responses..I found them in the sugar pot this morning having the time of their lives!
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 11:30
Leave out something sweet and watch where they come from and then piff paff the nest or hole they emerged from, a week of that and you may get on top of them.
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 10:13
I had them coming up through a cracked pipe in the bathroom sink and found that they didn't like disinfectant. I used ant powder around the crack until it could be repaired and sprayed a line of disinfectant around the door ... they stopped crossing thh disinfectant line so I managed to contain them. Give everything a good clean with disinfectant and make sure there are no open packets of food, used cups or crumbs around and they will soon learn there is nothing worth coming in for.
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 10:02
Thanks everyone for replies!! Reacue11 I like a long response! It must be crumbs in the kitchen maybe! I will be giving that a major clean later for sure. I am very clean anyway which is strange. They are coming out from the sockets for the TV, and for the Internet and climbing down the wires! Clever so and so's! Really helpful tricks thank you I will be giving those a go!
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 07:54
We were plagued by those miniature ants too. We found by watching them carefully there was always a trigger, one or two would come in looking for food, could be a small crumb or something, once they find it the little scout would send a signal back to base and then more would follow like a little army. My advice would be to give everything a good clean and watch carefully where they come from, spray the common entrance places with ant spray. Also have a look around the building structure, if there are any cracks outside, you could spray yourself or get pest control to do it. You'll need to be vigilant to the point of paranoid about cleanliness and sweeping up after meals etc. until you have them under control. After that you will just need to spray in those trigger locations occasionally or if salt works like the previous poster then use that but I urge you to find out where the entrance points are before you end up thinking its the whole place. For our flat there is one huge crack on the outside wall which runs right through into our kitchen, then ants track more often than not start in one location under our kitchen cupboard. Ive also had an incident where kids have dropped ice cream or food outside our apartment, the ants find it and then also come scouting into our place. Sorry for the long post but I know exactly how you feel, they are everywhere, trick is to make sure they have nothing to come into your place for.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY