Horizon School and Horizon International School. | ExpatWoman.com

Horizon School and Horizon International School.

Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 11:05

Considering a posible move to dubai in November, I have started looking out for schools in Dubai for DS.

He is currently in grade 3 in a CBSE indian academic (rote learning / homework) oriented school here in Abu Dhabi. His english is good, but his neutral accent has suffered since he joined the Indian school.
I am considering putting him in a UK syllabus school and hoping in the process that is accent would be neutralised and trying to choose a school that is not academic (rote learning / homework) oriented.

I am considering Horizon School and Horizon International School. I found a few reviews on here http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topic215110-horizon--academics.aspx (from 2013) about the Horizon school, but nothing much on Horizon International (which is actually Star International UMM Sheif).

I am also curious about the activities and additional languages taught in grade 3 at Horizon School?
DS currently learns Hindi and Arabic. Though Arabic is unavoidable, his experience with Arabic in his current school has been so bad that he has started dreading the subject :(
As regards activities, his current school has no (non-academic) activities at all, so any after school activities would be a plus.

Also what are the options for students after grade 6? As Horizon school only has classes till grade 6? How tough is it to find placement into grade 7 in another school for an average child?

And any feedback good/bad on Horizon International School also appreciated.

Thanks Ladies.

Latest post on 22 September 2015 - 13:47
We are at Horizon Intl and are very happy with the school too...
Latest post on 19 September 2015 - 19:33
If I had to choose between the two it would be Horizon International. I have dealt with both and have close friends with kids at both.
Latest post on 16 September 2015 - 16:54
Last year I called Horizon for FS2 in May (we just learned that we were moving) and the resgistrar told me the list was so long, I could register but the chances were not great. Call the registrar and ask about year 1. She can probably give you an idea about the waitlist, etc. My daughter goes to Horizon International. Honestly, I feel happy she got in and so far am very happy with the school. I THINK they have a waitlist too but call and ask. My daughter is in Yr. 1 and they are doing French and Arabic. I am not sure how intense the program is, I guess I will have to wait and see. So far, DD likes her Arabic classes. There are loads of after school activities! I really like that about the school. PE and swimming are part of the curriculum.
Latest post on 16 September 2015 - 16:54
Last year I called Horizon for FS2 in May (we just learned that we were moving) and the resgistrar told me the list was so long, I could register but the chances were not great. Call the registrar and ask about year 1. She can probably give you an idea about the waitlist, etc. My daughter goes to Horizon International. Honestly, I feel happy she got in and so far am very happy with the school. I THINK they have a waitlist too but call and ask. My daughter is in Yr. 1 and they are doing French and Arabic. I am not sure how intense the program is, I guess I will have to wait and see. So far, DD likes her Arabic classes. There are loads of after school activities! I really like that about the school. PE and swimming are part of the curriculum.
Latest post on 14 September 2015 - 19:51
Is it worth getting my LO name for horizon? And which one please. Would appreciate your reply.
Latest post on 14 September 2015 - 19:50
Is it worth getting my LO name for horizon? And which one please. Would appreciate your reply.
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 15:05
hi we have been at Horizon school since FS2 (similar to KG2 in the Indian syllabus)... and my elder DD is now in Yr4 and my younger one is starting this Sept into FS1 (similar to KG1 in the Indian syllabus)... we've been very happy with the school and my elder one has completely thrived there... they have French once or twice a week but it is not taught as strictly as Hindi would be in an Indian curriculum school. Arabic on the other hand has a heavy focus but I honestly feel that has more to do with being able to meet the standards set by KHDA. Arabic happens to be a fav subject at Horizon because they make it so much fun! My daughter even plays rock/paper/scissors in Arabic using the Arabic words for the elements. they have along school day 7:30am (students need to be dropped off by 7:20am) all the way to 2:40pm and following that they have a choice of afterschool activities - free activities run by school teachers - paid activities run by external companies (such as gymnastics, ballet, skiing, etc.) - squad activities (if your child's sporting level qualifies him to join one of the school sport teams) Once students are in Yr 6 at Horizon they start applying to other secondary schools... the most popular ones are DESC, DC, JC and JESS. All those schools have entrance tests to enter. Since Horizon International is a sister school, at present, Horizon Yr 6 students get preferential entry into Yr 7 at Horizon International. happy to discuss this further but would prefer to take it offline... feel free to get in touch [email protected]
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 22:19
Hi, my DD is at Horizon International School. At the moment she has French once a week and obviously Arabic. I personally really like the school. My DD will be entering Year 3 and has been at the school since FS1. They have lots of after school activities some internal and others provided by external providers. With regard to beyond Year 6 Horizon feeds into Horizon International School. I personally feel that she has too much homework but I'm sure other parents would disagree with me!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY