Costs of owning a dog | ExpatWoman.com

Costs of owning a dog

Latest post on 29 October 2015 - 11:23
Contact Allison at Doghouse on 050 457 8874 - she is really lovely and can give you the most accurate information on Canada's requirements as from my experience all countries have completely conflicting fees, regulations, timing and breed requirements. Allison relocated our cat twice (leaving Dubai and then returning again) and she was brilliant.
Latest post on 28 October 2015 - 08:35
Also if you travel and don't have a maid, cost of kennel, approximately 100 dhs per night.
Latest post on 26 October 2015 - 21:55
sending your dog back to Canada is pretty easy. Exess baggage. rabies shots up to date, no quarantein. Don't know the cost but it is certainly not nearly as costly as Aus! or Britain. So take that worry off your plate and have a travel jar for your puppy :) Contact Linda Tedd on Facebook and she will give you the figures...she is a great relocation expert for animals :)
Latest post on 26 October 2015 - 12:00
I don't know for Canada, but we relocated to Europe a few weeks ago, and the total cost for 2 cats was AED19700.
Latest post on 26 October 2015 - 10:14
Check with KLM (who I highly recommend when you relocate anywhere with a pet). The dog can travel as excess baggage and the charge may vary slightly depending on the size/weight. I travelled from Canada from Montreal to Schipol to Dubai on KLM with 3 animals and it cost USD1500 for all three several years ago. They are usually very helpful when you call them or email enquiries.
Latest post on 26 October 2015 - 09:51
Because pets can leave the UAE as checked baggage vs cargo heading to Europe and the US it is much cheaper to depart with them than arrive with them. I've been told the paperwork to the US (assume Canada would be similar) is uncomplicated and can be done yourself and the cost for excess baggage will be around $300 for our 18kg pup. Hope that helps a little.
Latest post on 26 October 2015 - 09:44
I cant give you costs for Canada but DH and I have allocated AED 20k for returning our boys back to Australia, but we have boarding costs at the other end for quaratine. It will also depend on whether you do the paperwork yourself or get a professional pet relocation company to do it. We had friends who have used Snoopy Pets and were very helpful with the relocation. Alternatively you can get on to facebook and check with the doggie communities here and see if they can give you some recommendations or guidelines. Dogs in Dubai is a good place to start.
Latest post on 26 October 2015 - 09:13
We are considering adopting a puppy and am hoping someone can help me to understand the approximate cost involved in owning a pet. We may move back to Canada in the next 1-2 years and have heard the cost of relocating a pet are very high. I have looked around on the internet but can't seem to see any specifics - can someone help with ball park figures?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY