Young family moving to Meydan heights. | ExpatWoman.com

Young family moving to Meydan heights.

Latest post on 30 August 2016 - 13:57

Hello!
There is a possibility that we may be heading out to live in Dubia - Meydan Heights.
We have a young daughter who is 6 months and a doggie too.
I just had a few questions if anyone would be able to help?

1) What is Meydan Heights like to live in? Can find a lot of info a few years ago but no recent pictures and would love to hear of families experiences who are living there.
2) Would you recommend shipping out furniture from home and is this expensive?
3) Does anyone have a dog out in Meydan heights? is it easy to ship them out and get pet passports for them?
4)Can dogs be walked on the lead around Meydan Heights Park?
5) Are their malls nearby and more importantly supermarkets for food shops?
6)Can internet be set up quickly and easily?
7) Are there any shops or restaurants in Meydan heights itself? what services are available there?

I am sure I will think of many other questions but would love to hear everybody's experiences etc

Many thanks

:)

Latest post on 04 September 2016 - 23:02
Hi Katiekooky Assuming that you are potentially coming to Dubai as EK joiners, you might find it useful to get in contact with the admin of the group Emirates Pilots Wives, who in turn can help you to get in touch with people who live in Heights. I have heard that Heights is currently full and they are placing people in the new EK villas at Meydan South (even though Heights is the destination on the HR tour). Heights has a pool, South doesn't, but apparently the villas are bigger. When we visited Heights in December there was nothing there in terms of shops except for a minimart and a Costa cart.... that might have changed now though....
Latest post on 02 September 2016 - 10:00
Thanks so much for your reply. Our wee dog is our baby too so I want to be sure it would work for him. Do they need to go in to quarantine when they arrive or do they travel through with just a pet passport. Is it expensive ? Our dog is a working cocker spaniel so does have a lot of energy! Is it easy to find vets and dog food and good boarding kennels ? While my husband is away flying I'd just want to know there is a good community feel to the area just so I don't feel too isolated. Is it easy to get into Dubai centre ? Did you ship out furniture or buy it all out there ? Is there a communal pool in Meydan heights? Sorry for all the questions I just have a lot of them! thanks again for all your advice. :) Your cocker spaniel will no doubt find outdoor life in Dubai very HOT indeed - with his longer haired coat. Most dogs get good trims in the summer and very early walkies.
Latest post on 01 September 2016 - 21:27
Sorry, you're both talking about totally different compounds. I assume OP's husband is flying for Emirates, and the house they have been offered is not an independent villa. Nowhere near..
Latest post on 31 August 2016 - 11:54
Hello, We're very obviously in a very different part than you may be. Where we are are all independent villas with 6 foot walls around them all, so no sense of community whatsoever - but that suits us. Our dogs didn't go into quarantine on arrival, but that was a few years ago now, others will be better able to advise, but I might suggest using a pet relocator, they know the ins & outs, things here have a habit of being rather more complicated than they need to be until you have a feel for it! Lots of good vets here, we've been very well looked after from minor issues to much bigger ones & food & treats are readily available. We do give our dog a haircut in the summer to help him cope with the heat, but he spends most of his day upside down under my feet in the AC of my office when it's too hot for him outside! Kennels, again, not something I'm familiar with, we have a live in maid who's main responsibility is to be there when we are not, she treats him like her own & he loves her, so we are comfortable leaving him home in familiar surroundings while we are away - he sleeps on her bed, he's such a traitor!! Dubai Mall - the closest - is about 10 minutes away & others are not much further, so very easy to get around. The evening traffic to Sharjah tends to start backing up just at our access exit meaning we miss most of it, so that's a good thing. We bought all of our furniture here, some new, some second hand - there's a thriving second hand community here but make sure you see the items before buying. The population is quite transient, so there's always something available. I really don't know about any pools, as I mentioned, we're in a different area. Between shopping for furniture, dog walking, activities with your child, you'll soon build your own network of friends, there's lots of people in your situation & we've all been new to Dubai at some stage, so most people are really friendly & welcoming & will help where they can. I hope that helps a little.
Latest post on 30 August 2016 - 23:44
Thanks so much for your reply. Our wee dog is our baby too so I want to be sure it would work for him. Do they need to go in to quarantine when they arrive or do they travel through with just a pet passport. Is it expensive ? Our dog is a working cocker spaniel so does have a lot of energy! Is it easy to find vets and dog food and good boarding kennels ? While my husband is away flying I'd just want to know there is a good community feel to the area just so I don't feel too isolated. Is it easy to get into Dubai centre ? Did you ship out furniture or buy it all out there ? Is there a communal pool in Meydan heights? Sorry for all the questions I just have a lot of them! thanks again for all your advice. :)
Latest post on 30 August 2016 - 16:14
Hello, Almost welcome! We live in Al Quoz 2 which my DH calls Meydan Heights & where we are there is NOTHING. The nearest supermarket is about a 5 minute easy drive away, but I choose to go to one about 10 minutes drive away. Besides the facilities at the Meydan Hotel, as far as I know, there is nothing else here; in my area anyway. We don't have human children, so I can't speak about family life, but our furry child loves it here, there's a desert space that we walk daily with the permission of the camel farmers & it is fantastic. There is construction starting in the area we are, but so far, not so much disruption. We moved into a brand new villa so setting up internet was a real headache, but if the villa you move into is already established, it should be much easier. I'm not sure if that will put you off, or encourage you, but we quite enjoy living here, it's quiet, road access is easy & doggy walking is great. HTH :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY