The Republic of Congo, also known as Congo Brazzaville, is very distinct from its eastern neighbor. It is an urban country, with modern infrastructure and establishments; drawing attention from expats around the world. Here is some useful information to help you prepare for your trip.
- Expat Clubs
- Local News Sources
- Country Information
- Resident and Work visa information
- How to get a driving license
- Where to live and about the accomodation types
- Healthcare information including Hospitals and Insurance
There are no expat meet up clubs as such in Congo Brazzaville and most expats communicate online through websites such as ExpatWoman.com.
Lycée français Saint-Exupéry de Brazzaville
Established in 1971 the French school is located in the southern part of the city of Brazzaville along the Bakongo district. A kindergarten "Eaglets" built in 1986 on a plot of the Embassy of France in the city center and partially destroyed during the war of 1997 was not reopened and this level is currently hosted on the main site Bakongo. In 1994 the establishment has counted nearly 900 pupils taught by 60 teachers.
Address: BP 31, Brazzaville, Republic of Congo
Tel: +242 281 21 10
International School Pointe Noire (ISPN)
As of September 2011, it has been located in the Tchikobo area of Pointe Noire in a new, three-story facility. It has three classrooms for Prek/K, G1/2, and G3-6 each with a maximum student capacity of fourteen.
Curriculum: French, Congolese
Address: Lotissement Tchikobo / BP 4453, Pointe-Noire, Republic of Congo
Tel: +242 748 7700
Lycée Français Charlemagne
Address: BP 1256, Pointe-Noire, Republic of Congo
AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons
Capital City: Brazaville
Other Important Cities: CFA Franc (XAF)
Calling Code: +242
Internet TLD: .cg
Electricity: The country runs on 230V Hz.
- Police: 112
Congo Brazzaville mainly uses hydro power to generate electricity. The Société Nationale d'Electricité (SNE) is the state-owned, sole generator and supplier for the entire country.
Address: Bld. Denis Sassou Nguesso Downtown, Brazzaville, Republic of Congo
Website (French): www.sne.cg
Visitors from a few countries may enter and stay for a limited period. These include countries in the Africa, Asia, Americas and Oceana. Other countries must apply for a visa at Congo Brazzaville’s embassy or consulate in their home or host country. There are different types of visas available for expats: tourist, business and diplomatic.
- Two fully completed visa application forms
- Submit two copies of the visa application form. Print, fill out completely and sign.
- Two passport color photographs
- Photos must be 2inches×2inches (51 *51 mm in size), colored, have a white background, and show a full front view of the face. These photos must have been taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance.
- A valid passport, at least 6 months
- An invitation letter or hotel reservation (For the tourist visa): A typewritten and notarized invitation letter stating the nature of the trip, the name and address of a reference to be visited in the Republic of Congo. The invitation letter must be addressed to the Embassy of the Republic of Congo, Visa section.
- A business letter (For the business visa): A typewritten business letter on company letterhead stating the nature of business to be performed, the name and address of a reference to be contacted in the Republic of Congo. The invitation letter must be addressed to the Embassy of the Republic of Congo, Visa section. No business visa will be granted without an official business letter.
- Copy of airline tickets or itinerary showing arrival and departure dates in the Republic of Congo.
- A prepaid envelope
- Visa Fees
For more details on visa applications to Congo Brazzaville please visit their embassy in the US site: www.ambacongo-us.org
Proof of Yellow Fever vaccination is also required.
The capital, Brazzaville is the center of commerce and has a number of mid to high range hotels and serviced apartments. Pointe-Noire and Loubomo also has some mid-range hotels.
The standard of living in Congo Brazzaville is quite high and accommodation is pricey. It’s also quite difficult to find a villa as real estate is rented by word of mouth mostly. However there are companies that have real estate services that can help out.
Address: 1 avenue Foch, a cote de la Mandarine, Cenre-ville
Tel: +242 06 663 7070
Address: Losange Ouest, Pointe-Noire, Congo (Republic)
Tel: +242 05 523 2272
Most expats in Congo Brazzaville drive and it is recommended to get a four wheel drive due to the road conditions in the country. It is unsafe to drive everywhere, especially at night. Make sure that you are familiar with the area before you go off on your own. Cars are expensive in the Congo, however the expat package should have a car allowance or a company car. Expats should have an International Driving Permit in order to drive in this region.
Medical facilities in the country are very limited; medical evacuation is necessary for more complicated treatments. It is highly recommended to secure a comprehensive health/medical evacuation insurance, as these costs are relatively high.
Ascoma offers insurance solutions for you and your family as well as your properties and investments, quietly assisting you to understand all the financial consequences related to accidents, injury and claims by making everyday risks more secure.
Address: 389, boulevard Charles de Gaulle, BP 681, Pointe Noire 7552, Congo
Tel: +242 05 530 13 14
Cigna Global Health Options
Cigna provides international insurance coverage for expats. International medical evacuation is also available in cases where emergency treatment must be sought outside of the host country.
Brazzaville Hospital (CHU)
Address: Bvd Marechal Lyautey, Brazzaville, Congo
Tel: +242 522 0008
Cabinet Medical Cogemo
Address: B.P. 13104 Centreville, Brazzaville, Congo
Tel: +242 81 38 67
Fax: +242 81 00 17
Netcare Congo Clinic – Brazzaville
Address: Avenue du Marechal Lyautey, Brazzaville, Congo
Tel: +242 661 5253
Address: Av. Amilcar Cabral, Brazzaville, Congo
Tel: +242 81 3872
Hospital de Loandjili
Address: Rond Point de Loandjili, Pointe-Noire, Congo
Tel: +242 94 5595