Car seats | ExpatWoman.com

Car seats

Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 07:44

Are there any laws for the use of car seats in Dubai?

Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 09:04
How are the seat fixed to the car? Is it ISOFIX? Very ignorant question sorry :-) I need seats that will harness my girls for as long as physically possible. I remember how crazy driving in DXB can be :-)
Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 08:32
Another reason to bring from home (as we discovered to our cost) is that while you can in fact get good brands, meeting all standards etc, here if you look around they are VERY expensive compared to the same item bought at home. I would imagine it's the same coming from Australia.
Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 08:25
I second Definitely get your car seats in Aus before you come over. I have been looking for a new car seat and done some research and if you buy them here, they are made in China, who definitely don't have the same BEAB Safety Certification. I'm just looking for a car seat for occasional trips, as I am just the Granny, but I still want a good, safe car seat. My good old trusted Britiax car seat buckle gets jammed which is a shame as the rest of the seat is perfect. I've been looking for a second-hand one but people want more for a well used one here than I can buy a new one for in the UK so I may just have to wait a couple of months before I can go back to the UK and get one. Definitely bring from Australia!
Latest post on 27 January 2015 - 06:44
Thanks everyone. I will shop around and maybe get new seats in Aus before we come over. Our current ones don't have an isofix so I need to look into that a bit more.
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 16:07
ABSOLUTELY 100% ... BUY YOUR CAR SEAT IN AUSTRALIA!! I had my baby at home in Oz in November, and we hired a Maxi Cosi car seat for while i was there which beat ANYTHING you can buy here handsdown safety wise. My baby was super snug and I knew if we had an accident he would be safe. When we came back here and put him into our Cabriofix I couldnt be more shocked by the poor quality and that he was just loosely lying there. I'm constantly driving around nervously as if we have an accident here, with the speed we go at, he would definately incur some harm. Australian safety standards are by far more superior - the seat we had not only had the isofix base, but also there was a latch which hooked over the seat and onto the boot floor. In addition, it had a 5 point seat belt with quality straps and buckle, unlike the crappy plastic 3 point buckle you can buy here. My mum is coming here in March and if she has room im asking her to bring a seat for his next step up in car seats.
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 15:25
I have no other baby gear as my girls are 6 and 4. I have maxi riders for them which should last till they are about 8 apparently. I have heard that seats can get damaged when flying, thrown around a bit. Anyone had any bad experiences? I am not heading there till July or so but just doing some prep work :-) Just keep the box that it comes in, and repack with the foam inserts etc. I didn't just throw mine on the plane - it was all packed in a moving box, and we checked that. If it's got a pic of a carseat on the outside the airline will probably be fine with it. Mine travelled fine.
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 15:18
I have no other baby gear as my girls are 6 and 4. I have maxi riders for them which should last till they are about 8 apparently. I have heard that seats can get damaged when flying, thrown around a bit. Anyone had any bad experiences? I am not heading there till July or so but just doing some prep work :-)
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 14:51
I agree with Stix. Plus if there is a chance you might use the car seat in Australia you need to be sure it is legal there - not all sold here are.
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 14:36
I bought mine in Australia and brought it here. Be mindful if you're bringing it on the plane with you - Qantas lets you bring 3 pieces of baby related checked luggage for free - emirates only 2. So if you've got a portacot and a stroller too, you'll be in trouble with the car seat. I'd say check just kidding here - but I appreciated a stress free (but lengthy) conversation at our local baby store at home when making such an important decision. I also think you might find there is more range in a country that does actually mandate little people be securely restrained ;)
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 14:27
Thanks Stix! What are the best shops to look at car seats? Last time I was there, I bought from Mamas and Papas (a capsule) but our needs have changed now. I am just wondering if I should buy suitable seats in Australia or shop there.
Latest post on 26 January 2015 - 08:32
They keep talking about it, but as I understand, there is no requirement for children to be in a car seat. <em>edited by Stix on 26/01/2015</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY