How can I drive?! | ExpatWoman.com

How can I drive?!

Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 10:13

Due to a lot of unfortunate mishaps my visa is very delayed. I now have my entry stamp but my visa won't be ready until 10 December and then I have to wait a further 2 weeks for my Eid card and being able to get my UAE driving licence. In the meantime, is there anyway I can drive on my uk licence? I've already gone 3 weeks without a car and I'm going insane...
Failing that, does anyone know if you can hire a driver short term? Booking careem kids several times a day is proving very expensive and inconvenient. Thank you!

Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 21:07
I hired with a reputable company immediately I arrived in Dubai. I continued to drive even when my visa was in process ( and again a couple of years later when visa was being transferred). The hire company knew my visa was in process and said it was ok..I even got this in writing from them and called the RTA to check...they said all ok as long as no visa and driving on my uk licence. All they said was that I had to convert my UK licence to my UAE one within 48 hrs of gaining my ID as it was illegal to drive on a UK licence once visa had been processed. I guess this doesn't help the OP though as she isn't currently hiring a car. It may be worth calling one of the bigger hire companies to ask if she can hire on UK licence whilst visa is in process
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 16:11
Incorrect answer! You CAN NOT drive on EITHER a rental car OR a private car now as your visa is under process. You must now wait until you have your Emirates ID card in hand before you approach RTA and do your conversion. Process is: Arrival in UAE on visit visa - you can drive a RENTAL car only Once UAE visa is under process - NO DRIVING of any sort Once UAE visa is in hand - STILL NO DRIVING (previously you could convert using paper application no longer possible) Once UAE ID Card is in hand - NOW you can drive once you have converted license. HTH. I have a feeling not many know this, as a lot of people I have spoken to are still driving hire cars even though they have their UAE licenses and have been ever since they arrived.
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 16:07
Incorrect answer! You CAN NOT drive on EITHER a rental car OR a private car now as your visa is under process. You must now wait until you have your Emirates ID card in hand before you approach RTA and do your conversion. Process is: Arrival in UAE on visit visa - you can drive a RENTAL car only Once UAE visa is under process - NO DRIVING of any sort Once UAE visa is in hand - STILL NO DRIVING (previously you could convert using paper application no longer possible) Once UAE ID Card is in hand - NOW you can drive once you have converted license. HTH.
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 10:59
Thank you, I did rent a car when I first arrived on my tourist visa and that was fine. I forgot to add that Im now in the process of getting my entry permit so I'm no longer on a visit visa. But due to holidays and slow processing I will not have the actual visa until 10 December the earliest...
Latest post on 23 November 2015 - 10:23
Go to a car rental place ( a reputable one, usually if they have a branch at the airport they are good), and ask them. I had a rental card when I had my entry stamp, but no visa. This happens to a lot of people. Simply gave them a copy of my Canadian licence and showed they asked for a copy of my first visit visa.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY