Ladies from New Zealand? Need help to plan a trip with 7yr old DS.
We are planning on a month long vacation in Australia this July and in-between hope to take a 8 day trip to New Zealand. Our 7 yr old DS would be with us, so I am trying to plan a trip that will be least hectic but can cover as much of New Zealand as possible and a bit of Middle Earth locations.
Oh, and see and experience real snow. :)
We have two options,
a- Cover the north island and return to Australia in 7-8 days
b- Cover all main points of north & south island and return to Australia in 7-9 days.
Using google I have shortlisted these areas as possible points of interest:
- Auckland - Bream Head Scenic Reserve
- Auckland - Whale & Dolphin Safari at Hauraki Gulf Marine Park
- Auckland - Butterfly Creek
2a. Coromandel (maybe? but probably out of way)
- Coromandel - Waiau Kauri Grove and Waterfalls
- Hamilton - Hobbiton Film location
- Hamilton - Hamilton Gardens
- Waitomo - Waitomo caves
- Te Puia at Te Whakarewarewa Thermal Valley
- Lake Okareka Walkway or Horse Trekking
- Great Lake Taupo (Experience snow here?)
- Te Papa National Museum
- Weta Cave
- Old St. Pauls
- Cable Car (& Carter Observatory)
- Zealandia / Wellington Zoo
- Mt. Victoria
- Kaitoke Regional Park
Return to Auckland OR Continue on ferry to South Island.
- Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre (DS loves planes and aviation)
- Seal colony enroute
- Air Force Museum
- Open Top Bus
- Aoraki Mt Cook (Experience snow here?)
- Lake Wanaka Horse Trek
- Puzzling World Wanaka
9. Fiordland National Park (maybe? but probably out of way)
10. Return to Australia from Queenstown.