Exit/Entry requirements for U.S. Citizens | ExpatWoman.com

Exit/Entry requirements for U.S. Citizens

Learn here about the exit and entry requirements of Azerbaijan for U.S. Citizens.

Posted on

18 November 2013

Last updated on 11 December 2017
Exit/Entry requirements for U.S. Citizens

You need a passport and a visa to enter Azerbaijan. Get your visa before you travel, and make sure the visa validity dates correspond with your travel. With limited exceptions (persons with invitations from high-ranking officials of the Government of Azerbaijan), you cannot get a visa at the airport, nor can you get a visa at the land borders with Georgia, Russia, Turkey, or Iran.

Currently, U.S. citizens may apply for a single- or double-entry tourist or visitor visa valid for 90 days (cost: $160), or a one-year multiple-entry business visa (cost: $160). U.S. citizen tourists booking accommodations through a licensed Azerbaijani travel agency may receive a voucher that entitles them to receive a tourist visa for $20. The Embassy of Azerbaijan in Washington, D.C. uses a visa courier service that charges $21 for processing and service fees in addition to the basic cost of the visa. Visa applicants are required to use this service. Please see the website of the Azerbaijani Embassy in Washington, D.C. for more details. The Embassy of Azerbaijan states that visas take 10 business days to process, but travelers are encouraged to apply for their visas early to avoid possible delays in the summer months.

Azerbaijan enacted a new law on April 1, 2013 that requires all foreign visitors, regardless of their length of stay, to register with the State Migration Service of Azerbaijan within three days of arrival. You must submit a completed registration form, a copy of the biographic page of your passport, and a copy of your visa to the State Migration Service either in person, via mail, or e-mail. Licensed hotels may assist their guests register, but travelers staying in personal homes, private apartments or un-licensed hotels must register themselves. Every individual traveler is responsible for ensuring that the registration has been done.

Registration is free, but failure to register or registering late may result in a fine of between 300-400 AZN ($380-$500). Travelers may be made at the Azerbaijan, denied permission to depart Azerbaijan until the fine is paid and they have secured an exit permit from the main branch of the State Migration Service of Azerbaijan, 202 Binagadi Highway, 3123 Block, Binagadi District, Baku; tel (994-12)562-56-23 or at the regional branch of the State Migration Service of Azerbaijan at 53 Ataturk Avenue, Baku; Tel: (994 12) 561 87 54.

More information about the new registration process may be found at the website of the State Migration Service (SMS). The required form (available only in Azerbaijani for now) should be e-mailed to [email protected] and can be found at on the SMS website

If you are planning to stay in Azerbaijan longer than the duration of stay indicated on your visa, you must apply to the State Migration Service for an extension of your stay or for a Temporary Residency Permit. To find more information about the requirements, you can visit the SMS website.

A valid visa is required in order to depart Azerbaijan. If your visa is expired, or you have exceeded the duration of stay authorized by your visa, you must pay a fine between 300 – 400 AZN ($380 – $500) and get an exit permit. This is only done at the main branch of the State Migration Service of Azerbaijan listed above and at the regional branch of the State Migration Service of Azerbaijan at 53 Ataturk Avenue, Baku; Tel: (994 12) 561 87 54 ; or at the State Migration Service’s office at Baku International Airport. You will be denied permission to depart
Azerbaijan until the fine is paid and you have secured an exit permit.

We recommend you carry at least a photocopy of your current passport and valid visa with you at all times if you do not normally carry your passport.

If you plan on staying in Azerbaijan more than the duration of stay indicated on your visa or wish to work in Azerbaijan you must apply for a residency permit and work authorization card requires an application with the State Migration Service. Part of the application process is the submission of translated copies and originals of many civil documents like birth certificates, marriage certificates, and university diplomas. In order to translate such documents, local notaries require an apostilled copy of any state issued civil documents like marriage certificates and birth certificates. Each state has its own procedures for providing an apostille, and the U.S. Embassy is unable to provide such an apostille.

U.S. citizens of Armenian ancestry - or even those with Armenian last names – have had their visa applications denied by the Government of Azerbaijan on the grounds that their safety cannot be guaranteed. Recently, a traveler with an Armenian visa in his passport had his Azerbaijani visa application refused to be accepted for processing.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any restriction on entry to Azerbaijan for travelers with HIV/AIDS. However, medical tests, which must be performed at designated clinics in Azerbaijan, are required for those applying for temporary or permanent residence permits. The applications by people with health issues, including HIV/AIDS, are reviewed by the State Migration Service and approved on a case-by-case basis.

Information about dual nationality and the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our website. Azerbaijan does not recognize dual citizenship, and dual U.S.-Azerbaijani citizens could encounter problems living and traveling in Azerbaijan. Azerbaijan has compulsory military service for males ages 18 to 35. Men who currently have U.S. citizenship and who previously held Azerbaijani citizenship and have not completed their military requirement could face fines or arrest unless they have officially renounced their Azerbaijani citizenship. Dual citizens may renounce their Azerbaijani citizenship at any Azerbaijan Embassy or Consulate.

Source:  http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_978.html