ExpatWoman guide to life in Andorra



Andorra is one of the smallest nations in Europe and boasts a healthy tourism industry, thanks to the Pyrenees Mountains. It is known for skiing and spectacular sceneries. If you’re looking to move there, we’ve got the latest info on everything that you might need to make your transition a smooth one.

Andorra Hills and Valleys

Expat Clubs in Andorra

The Andorra Club

The Andorra Club organizes activities that foster camaraderie and togetherness between nationalities living in the country. They are an English language club to facilitate communication with members.

Website: www.international-club-andorra.com

International Schools in Andorra

Col – Legi Internacional Del Prineu

The school was founded in 1999 and is a Teaching Centre approved by the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science.

Address: Poliesportiu de l'Aldosa, L'ALDOSA, La Massana, Principat d'Andorra

Tel: +376 838 366

Fax: +376 836 324

Website: cimand.com

Local News in English

News in Andorra is delivered in the language of Spanish and Catalan.

Country Information for Andorra

Location: Europe

Capital City: Andorra la Vella

Currency: Euro €

Language: Catalan; Spanish and French are widely spoken

Calling Code: +376

Internet TLD: .ad

Electricity: Andorra runs on 230V 50Hz. There is a 10% government tax imposed on utilities.

Emergency Numbers:

Emergency: 116

Ambulance: 112

Fire: 112

Police: 112

Country Information


Embassy Information


Residency and Visa Information

There are no visa requirements on specific nationalities entering Andorra. However access to the country requires passage through the Schengen territories, Spain and France, visitors holding a non-EU passport must secure a multiple entry Schengen visa. For more information please visit Andorra’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs>> 

There are two types of residency in Andorra: Passive and Active. While Active residency allows for employment within Andorra, Passive residency does not. There are two types of active residency, one which requires you to own 10% or more of an Andorran company in order to be eligible for a resident visa. The other is a work permit that is issued either seasonally (for the ski season) or permanently. In order to apply for this permit you must have an offer of employment from an Andorran company.


Apartments, Duplex’s and Chalets are available for rent in Andorra. Tenants are required to secure two month’s rent as a refundable deposit as well as the first month’s rent in advance. You will have to have funds available to pay at the beginning of your rent agreement; thereafter you will receive a reprieve as the next rent payment will only be due at the end of your second month in the premises.

The rental contract weighs heavily in favour of the tenant as the contract is legally binding for a term of five years, during which time the landlord cannot sell or kick the tenant out without substantial evidence that there has been a breach of contract or gross misconduct on the part of the tenant.

Expats can find apartments for a relatively reasonable rate – a one bedroom apartment will cost in the region of €500, however a family looking to rent a chalet or house will shell out anywhere between €2000-4000 per month.

Driving License

Expats have a period of 12 months in which they can exchange their driving license for an Andorran one.

The following documents are required in order to exchange a driving license:
  1. Confirmed inscription in the municipality of residence
  2. Medical certificate
  3. Passport photo in colour
  4. Original of the foreign driving license

The following countries can exchange their driving licenses immediately:

Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Ireland, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Portugal, Sweden, Spain, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

Drivers from countries that are not on the afore mentioned list will have to provide additional documentation:

  1. Certificate of authentication issued by the Department responsible for issuing the foreign driving license.
  2. Certificate that explains which categories the driving license is valid for.

Both these documents will have to be certified, the documents will also have to have an authorized translation if they are not in the following languages: Catalan, Spanish, French or Portuguese. The applicants will have to pass a driving test.


Bear in mind that entry to Andorra requires passage through either Spain or France, health regulations must also be taken into consideration. There are no special precautionary vaccinations advised before visiting Andorra apart from a Tetanus shot. Healthcare in Andorra is advanced and is similar to the French healthcare system. Both public and private facilities are available. You must be employed by an Andorran company to avail healthcare benefits.

Employees contribute from 6% – 9% of their income to Andorra’s Social Security Office (CASS). Be advised that unless employed, foreigners are expected to pay for any medical costs; a reliable health insurance is important. The emergency care is free.

Insurance Companies

CASS (Caixa Andorrana Seguretat Social)

This is the state-run social security system that Andorran citizens and expats with Active residency use.

Website (Catalan): online.cass.ad/web/lacass/professionalsalut/hospitals/andorra

Cigna Global Health Options

Cigna provides international insurance coverage for expats. International medical evacuation is also available in cases where emergency treatment must be sought outside of the host country.

Website: www.cignaglobal.com

Note: Insurance cover is a requirement for residency.


Hospital Nostra Senyora de Meritxell

This hospital offers a range of medical services including General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Gynecology, Oncology and more.

Address: Av. Fiter i Rossell, 1 - 13, Escaldes-Engordany

Tel: +376 871 100

Email: [email protected]