24 September 2014| Last updated on 2 October 2014
Metro Stations Around the World
Whether you call it the metro, the underground or the tube, a rapid transport system is something that you will encounter when visiting a highly populated city. These transit systems are made so that they can transport a large number of people over a great distance without interrupting the regular traffic flow. If fact these systems are almost always built on raised platforms or underground so that they cause no interference at all. We take a look at some of the most stunning metro stations around the world … if you’re living in these amazing places and see another station like this one please Instagram it with the hashtag #ExpatWoman on our Instagram account @ExpatWoman.
The Russians have some beautiful architechture that has survived Stalin and communism - this metro station pays homage to that great architechture. This station is on the Kirovsko-Vyborgskaya Line of the Saint Petersburg Metro. It opened as part of the first metro in 1955 featuring highly ornate designs including columns with ornamental glass manufactured at the Lomonosov factory.
Canary Wharf Station, London, England
Khalid Bin Al Waleed Station, Dubai
Grand Central Station, New York
Heidelberger Platz, Berlin
Champ de Mars, Montreal
Pyongyang Metro, North Korea
This North Korean metro system consists of two lines: the Chŏllima line and the Hyŏksin line. There are very few photographs of North Korea, but we were surprised to see at how bright and colourful the station looks. Definitely a top one.
Expo MTR Singapore
Toledo Station, Naples
- Avtovo – "Metro SPB Line1 Avtovo" by Florstein - Own work. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0-2.5-2.0-1.0 via Wikimedia Commons
- London Canary Wharf - "CanaryWharfTubeA" by GazMan7 at en.wikipedia - Own workTransferred from en.wikipedia. Licensed under Public domain via Wikimedia Commons
- Khalid bin al Waleed "Metro Dubai 003" by Nepenthes - Own work. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons
- Heidelberger platz – "UBahnhf-Heidelbergerplatz" by Phaeton1 - Own work. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons
- Montreal – "Montreal - Metro Champ-de-Mars, panorama-20050329". Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons
- Pyongyang North Korea – "Pyongyang metro station 2" by Roman Bansen - Own work. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pyongyang_metro_station_2.jpg#mediaviewer/File:Pyongyang_metro_station_2.jpg
- Singapore – "Cg1 expo exterior". Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 via Wikimedia Commons
- Toledo metro station