Landlocked between the other ‘-stans’ and China, Tajikistans geography is blessed with blue skies and cold, crisp air, warmed by welcoming hospitality. Marred by the fall of the Soviet Union, the country picked up the pieces of its past. The shadows of its history are long gone; foreigners will find that infrastructures and architectures now reflect the country’s forward-looking vision. And with the mountainous backdrop, the contrast between nature and manmade structures strike a perfect visual harmony that no one should miss. If you’re on your way to the ‘Roof of the World’, take a step back and read through some information we’ve put together.
- Expat Clubs
- Local News Sources
- Country Information
- Resident and Work visa information
- How to get a driving license
- Where to live and about the accomodation types
- Healthcare information including Hospitals and Insurance
There are no expat meet up clubs as such in Tajikistan and most expats communicate online through websites such as ExpatWoman.com.
QSI International School of Dushanbe
QSI International School of Dushanbe, is a private non-profit institution that opened in August of 2004 and offers a high quality education in the English language for elementary and secondary students. The warm and welcoming school community make it an ideal place to receive a quality education.
Address: Sovetskaya 85, Dushanbe, Tajikistan, 734001
Tel: +992-37-224-8559 /8560
Email: [email protected]
Dushanbe International School
Dushanbe International School (DIS) was founded in 1997 to serve the international community in Dushanbe and the surrounding area. It now houses students in grades Year 1 to Year 11 and Kindergarten. Students are drawn from families working for both the international and local business communities, including the diplomatic corps and various multi-national government-funded organizations.
Address: 9 Bofanda Street, Shohmansur 734042, Dushanbe, Tajikistan
Tel: (+992 37) 2230250, (+992 37) 2214776, (+992 37) 2211104
Fax: (+992 37) 2510271
Email: [email protected]
Dushanbe International Presidential School
The first International Presidential School in Dushanbe was inaugurated on the first of September, 2012 by the President of the Republic of Tajikistan. The curriculum is based on International and Tajikistan Standards according to which most of subjects are taught in English.
Address: 734025, Mehrobod area, Karamov St, Tajikistan
Tel: (+992) 907 75 45 04, (+992) 48 701 52 20, (+992) 907 79 23 25
Email: [email protected]
Tajikistan News is an English site that covers local and regional news and events. They also feature international news.
Eurasia.Net – Tajikistan
This is a dedicated page for the country’s local events and happenings.
Capital City: Dushanbe
Calling Code: +992
Internet TLD: .tj
Electricity: Tajikistan runs on 230V 50Hz.
Looking for your local embassy in Tajikistan? Try this website for a full list of the embassies.
Citizens of the following countries are exempted from visa regulations: Armenia, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgustan, Moldova and Russia. Nationals from Azerbaijan and Ukraine are also exempted however for only up to 90 days. Other countries, including the US, the EU, Australia and most of Asia may obtain a visa on arrival. Others will have to apply for a visa at a Tajikistan embassy or consulate. The Tajikistan Ministry of Foreign Affairs site has a list of countries and their respective exemptions and visa regulations: mfa.tj/en/countries-requiring-visa/visa-system-with-foreign-countries.html
There are a number of visas available to foreigners. These range from short-term to long-term stays: Diplomatic visa, Business official visa (foreign delegates, admin etc.), Investment visa, Business visa (investors, business personnel, etc.), Work visa, Educational academic visa, Educational visa, Free economic zone visa, Private visa, Driver’s visa, Aircraft crew visa, Immigrant visa, Mass media visa, Sportsmen and creative group visa, Missionary visa, Humanitarian visa, and Commercial visa.
General documents required for visa processing:
- Valid passport, minimum 6 months.
- Completed visa application, plust one copy
- Two 2x2 passport size photos
There are other document requirements per type of visa, please visit the Tajikistan embassy in the US site for further information: http://tjus.org/visainfo.htm
For permanent residency in Tajikistan, the Embassy in Austria website has this information:
- Foreign citizens would permanently live in Tajikistan if they receive permission for permanent residence issued by the Department of Visas and Registration of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (OVIR);
- Letter of request on issuance of permission for permanent residence in Tajikistan is to submitted by temporary arrived foreigners directly to the Department of Visas and Registration of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (OVIR) up to place of residence in Tajikistan;
- Permission for permanent residence is issued by relevant authorities of Tajikistan up to place of residence of foreign citizens, reached 16 years old for the term no more than 5 years and foreigner reached 45 years old for the whole term of passport validity;
- Letter on extension of permission for permanent residence term or new permanent residence permission must be submitted by foreign citizens to the Department of Visas and Registration of the Ministry of internal affairs (OVIR) up to place of residence not later than 10 days before expiration of date of permanent residence permission;
- Foreign citizens arrive in Tajikistan for the term more than 6 months have to receive permanent residence permission from the Department of Visas and Registration of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (OVIR);
- Permanent residence permission cannot be extended without extension of visa;
- Foreign citizens temporarily living in Tajikistan and wishing to change the place of residence or temporarily move to another place must receive permission from the Department of Visas and Registration of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (OVIR).
Expat communities in Tajikistan are concentrated mainly in Dushanbe. These are made of NGOs, volunteers, diplomatic officials and a commercial employees. Foreign population here is small, as even the local population is sparse. Expat with families will likely to take to this city as international schools are located here.
Expats will find that the cost of living, especially accommodations, are cheap in Dushanbe and generally in Tajikistan. A single bedroom apartment starts at $100 to $326 per month, while bigger, more spacious units start at $350 to $800 depending on its proximity to the main commercial or business areas of the city.
Expats may use their domestic license and international license to drive legally in the country for up to 3 months. These IDs must have a photo. After three months, expats will have to go to the nearest police station to obtain a talon, a yellow card that is used to mark traffic offences.
Traffic police in Tajikistan are keen to stop and check vehicles. Expats are urged to carry with them: driving license, talon, vehicle registration (if expat owns the car), power of attorney certifying the expat to use the vehicle (if the expat is not the owner of the car), car tax receipts, and proof of insurance
The services and facilities in Tajikistan are poor and suffer from shortages of basic supplies. Dushanbe is the most recommended place to refer to, as outside the city, services will be few to non-existent. Medication is also scarce and fraudulent drugs are common. Health insurance that covers medical evacuation or repatriation is recommended; this is in case of severe, complex cases that require specialist treatment.
Cigna Global Health Options
Cigna Global Health Options specialise in providing expatriate health plans that are designed to give comprehensive overseas medical cover for people who are living and working abroad. They provide medical evacuation insurance cover.
Prospekt Medical Clinic
Prospekt Medical Clinic (PMC) was founded in 2004 as the first western style clinic in Dushanbe, Tajikistan. The clinic provides general medical care, including, private consultation (with either doctor or nurse), home visits, and family medicine, med-evacuation to both the expatriate and national population.
Address: 33, Sanoi St., behind Medical University, Dushanbe, Tajikistan
Tel: (+992 37) 224 3092
Fax: (+992 37) 224 3062
E-mail: [email protected]
Cardiovascular and Urological Center
Cardiac-surgical hospital with an urological wing and an emergency room.
Address: Avicenna hospital, 34, Foteh Niyozi St., Dushanbe, Tajikistan
Republican Center of Reconstructive Surgery
The hospital offers general surgery, reconstructive surgery and vascular surgery.
Address: Sanoi St. 33, 4th Floor Medgorodok, Tajikistan
Tel: +992 37 224 54 59, +992 37 224 32 94