Connecting and paying utilities including gas, electric & water |

Connecting and paying utilities including gas, electric & water

Getting connected and paying for your utilities including gas, eletric and water, gas etc.

Posted on

18 March 2014

Last updated on 28 June 2017
Connecting and paying utilities including gas, electric & water

Electricity | Gas | Water



There are two main electricity suppliers in Hong Kong, which one you choose is dependent on where you live.

The Hong Kong Electric Holdings (HEH) distributes to Hong Kong and Lamma Island, and China Light and Power (CLP) serves Kowloon, the New Territories and Outlying Islands.

HEH LogoHong Kong Electric Holdings (HEH)

Customer Services Postal Address: G.P.O. Box 915, Hong Kong
Address: 9/F, Electric Centre, 28 City Garden Road, North Point, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2887 3411
SMS Enquiry Service: (852) 6681 3411
Fax: (852) 2510 7667
E-mail: [email protected]

Emergency Tel: (852) 2555 4999* Chinese (24-hour) or (852) 2555 4000* English (24-hour)

CLP LogoChina Light and power (CLP)

CLP Info Tel: 2678 2678 (24-hour)
Fax: 2678 6368

Emergency Tel: 2728 8333 (24 Hour)

Click here to view a full list of CLP Customer Service Centres
Click here to fill out a CLP Enquiry E-Form



Setting Up Your Account

To open an electricity account with HEH or CLP, you can do so online, by fax, or in person (at the Customer Service Centre in North Point for HEH, and at any of the 15 CLP Customer Service Centres in Kowloon and the New Territories for CLP).

  • You will need your Hong Kong Identification Card or passport details.

  • You will be asked to make a deposit, which is usually about 2 months' consumption.

  • You can also make transfers, notifying change of address within Hong Kong, terminate the account, etc online.

Paying Your Bill

There are many ways to pay your electricity bill:

  • Credit/debit

  • By cheque via post

  • ATM

  • Online transfer

  • By cash in person

  • By PPS (Payment by Phone)

  • You can even pay for your CLP electricity bills at any MTR customer service centre.

HEP meters are read monthly and bills are issued monthly.
CLP meters are read bi-monthly and bills are issued bi-monthly.


TownGas LogoMost properties in Hong Kong are supplied with piped gas, which is supplied by Towngas.
Tel: 2880 6988
Email: [email protected]

Setting Up Your Account & Paying Your Bill

  • You can open an account online or in person at the nearest customer service centre.

  • You will need a proof of address to open an account.

  • You can also transfer and terminate accounts online.

For areas that not serviced by piped gas, bottled gas (LPG cylinders) can be arranged for gas stoves. Click here to find out more about gas bottles in Hong Kong>> (link to faq-gas bottles)

There are many ways to pay for your gas consumption including:

  • Bank Autopay

  • Credit Card Autopay

  • Internet payment

  • Payment by Phone (PPS)

  • Bank Automated Teller Machine (ATM)

  • Cheque Deposit Machine

  • Bank Counter Payment (BEA)

  • Towngas Customer Centres

  • Post Office

  • Cheque by mail

  • Convenience Stores / Supermarkets

For more information on paying your bill visit their website>>



Water in Hong Kong is supplied by the Water Supplies Department of the Water Authority. Water is metered and bills are usually calculated over 4 months.
Water Supplies Department

43/F Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Tel: 2824 500

How to Apply for a Water Account

There are many ways to set up your water account in Hong Kong. This can be done online by filling out an electronic form. Alternatively, you may wish to apply in person at any of the customer service centres listed in full below.

Water Supplies Department Offices

Head Office
48th Floor, Immigration Tower,
7 Gloucester Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Tel. 2829 4500
Fax. 2824 0578

Hong Kong and Islands Regional Office
WSD Hong Kong Regional Building, 611 King's Road,
North Point, Hong Kong

Mong Kok Office
128 Sai Yee Street, Mong Kok, Kowloon

Kowloon Bay Office
WSD Kowloon East Regional Building
11 Tai Yip Lane, Kowloon Bay, Kowloon

Cheung Sha Wan Office
WSD Kowloon West Regional Building
2 Lai Hong Street, Cheung Sha Wan, Kowloon

Meter Workshop / Meter Testing Laboratory
WSD Lung Cheung Road Mechanical & Electrical Workshop
2nd Floor, 300 Lung Cheung Road, Kowloon

All telephone enquiries can be made through the 24 hours hotline of the Customer Telephone Enquiry Centre – Tel: 2824 5000.

How to Pay Your Water Bill

You may pay your water and sewage charges or water deposits by the following ways:

Autopay is a convenient and easy way to pay water and sewage charges, but this method is not applicable to payment of water deposit. Water and sewage charges will only be debited against your bank account on the payment due date. You may also set a limit for each payment. To arrange for autopay facility, download an authorization form and return the completed form to your bank for processing. The form is available at any of the Customer Enquiry Centres and District Offices also. Alternatively, you may approach your banks for the autopay arrangement.

Since the processing of autopay application will take some time, continue to pay your water and sewage charges until your water bill shows that payment by autopay has been authorised. Upon closing of your water account, it is necessary for you to inform the department to cancel the autopay authorisation. 

You can download and return the completed form "Cancellation of Direct Debit Authorization for Payment of Charges issued by the Water Authority PDF."

To safe guard your own interest, you may also cancel the autopay arrangement with your bank.

Automatic Teller Machine
You may pay water and sewage charges or water deposits by using an Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) with either a logo of 'JETPAYMENT' or 'BILL PAYMENT SERVICE'. Keep the receipt as proof of payment, if required. ATM cardholders may contact their banks for more details.

PPS (by phone or Internet)
You may pay water and sewage charges or water deposits by using Payment by Phone Service (PPS). To begin, simply take your ATM card or credit card with ATM function to any nearby PPS registration terminals to open a PPS account.
After registering your water account and deposit account via phone (call 18011) or Internet (, you can pay your bill through phone (call 18031) or Internet (
The merchant code of WSD is '08'. Each successful payment will be confirmed by a Payment Reference Number.

By Post
You may send in crossed cheques made payable to "The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region" by post to the Director of Accounting Services at PO Box 28000, Gloucester Road Post Office, Hong Kong together with the Postal Payment Slip, i.e. the lower part of the water bill.
Note that NO receipt will be issued and DO NOT send cash or post-dated cheques.

In Person
You may pay water and sewage charges or water deposits in cash or by cheque at any post office and the Customer Enquiry Centre in Mongkok.

You can also settle payment in cash at any 7-Eleven, Circle K Convenience Store, VanGO Convenience Store, China Resources Vanguard Supermarket in Hong Kong.Take along the water bill for payment. The maximum limit for each transaction is HK$5,000. Retain the receipt for your payment records.

Is the tap water in Hong Kong Safe to Drink?

Hong Kong enjoys one of the safest water supplies in the world. The Water Supplies Department has a comprehensive programme to monitor water quality from collection, to water treatment processes and on to distribution to consumers. Water samples are taken regularly throughout the entire supply and distribution system. The sampling points include water treatment works, service reservoirs, trunk mains, connection points and domestic taps. The data from these samples are checked against the World Health Organization's Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality, which were developed by experts from around the world. With this international standard of reference, you can rest assured that the water in your home is safe for consumption.