Expats apply for a conversion to a Singapore driving license to drive the equivalent class of motor vehicle.
3 February 2014| Last updated on 27 June 2017
Any person holding a license to drive a particular class of motor vehicle by the competent authority of a country other than Singapore, may apply for conversion to a Singapore driving license to drive the equivalent class of motor vehicle.
Foreigners in Singapore who hold a work pass/dependent pass/ student pass are permitted to drive for a period of one year on their country’s driving license, thereafter they will have to exchange it for a Singaporean one. If your original driving license is not in English, you will need an official translation or an International Driving Permit in order to drive legally. Foreigners who wish to exchange their original driving license into a Singaporean one will be able to do so, and the diving license will be valid for a period of five years, thereafter it must be renewed.
If you obtain Singaporean Permanent Residence you must convert your foreign driving license immediately. Singaporean Permanent Residents and citizens must drive with a Singaporean driving license. This license has a lifetime validity and will never have to be renewed.
There are three conditions which a person must meet in order to successfully exchange his/her driving license:
1. The person must have been resident in the country where the license was issued for at least six months.
2. The person must have had the license for a minimum of six months when applying for a conversion.
3. The license must have been issued before the person became a permanent resident in Singapore.
Basic Theory Test
In order to convert your foreign license to a Singapore driving license, you are required to pass the Basic Theory Test (BTT), overseas theory test results are not admissible for consideration.
You may book for a BTT in person at any of the 3 driving schools. On passing the BTT you may then proceed to apply for conversion at the Traffic Police Driving Test Centre counters in person, with the relevant documents.
The 3 Traffic Police Driving Test Centres are co-located with the 3 driving schools. Their addresses are:
• Woodlands Driving Test Centre, level 1, co-located with the Singapore Safety Driving Centre (http://www.ssdcl.com.sg/ ) at 2, Woodlands Industrial Park E4 Singapore 757387.
• Bukit Batok Driving Test Centre, level 2, co-located with the Bukit Batok Driving Centre (http://www.bbdc.sg ) at 815 Bukit Batok West Ave 5 Singapore 659085.
• Kampong Ubi Test Centre, level 2, co-located with ComfortDelgro Driving Centre (http://www.cdc.com.sg) at 205, Ubi Ave 4 Singapore 408805.
Please bring along the following documents where applicable, when applying for conversion of license:
• Original and a photocopy of your passport and NRIC/Entry Permit/Employment Pass/Dependant Pass/Work Permit
• Original and a photocopy of your valid Qualified Foreign Driving License
• Processing fee of $50 (Cashcard and NETS payment Only)
- The results slip of your Basic Theory Test
• One matt finish passport-size colour photograph with white background, eyes looking straight and both ears and eyebrow visible in the photograph. There should be no headgear worn unless normally worn for religious purpose, and glasses worn should not be tinted.
• For Malaysian license holders, an extract from JPJ Malaysia showing information of your driving record and license information (obtained not more than 6 months before date of conversion)
• For Singaporeans and PR studying overseas for one year or more, please produce proof of stay in the country, e.g. educational transcripts or Letter of Acceptance by the educational institution and the relevant student visa in the passport.
• For Singaporeans and PR employed overseas for one year or more, please produce Income Tax Returns or supporting documents from employers and the relevant employment visa in the passport.
The Licensing Section, Traffic Police Department
At: 10 Ubi Avenue 3, Singapore 408865
Tel: 6547 1818
Fax: 6547 4900
For more information on Singaporean driving license procedures please visit http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/services/driving_in_singapore/services/information.html