Paying your utility bills |

Paying your utility bills

Getting connected and paying for your utilities including gas, eletric and water, gas etc - here's what you need to know....

Posted on

3 June 2014

Last updated on 29 June 2017
Paying your utility bills

Electricity | Gas | Water

Dependant on whether you are renting or buying a property determines whether the process of setting up your utilities will be an easy job or much harder. If you are renting a property as part of your lease agreement your landlord should set up or at least help in setting up your utilities for you. If you buy your own home setting up and paying your utility bills is not the easiest thing to do in Vietnam unless you speak Vietnamese. Your best bet is to find a local who will help you with the process, it will make your life a lot easier than struggling with the language barrier.


The sole electricity supplier in Vietnam is Vietnam Electricity Company (EVN) which is regulated by the Ministry of Industry and Trade and operates the national electricity network throughout Vietnam.
Address: 18 Tran Nguyen Han, Ly Thai To Ward, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
Tel: (84-4) 6.6946789
Fax: (84-4)6.6946666)

EVN have offices in both Hanoi & Ho Chi Minh City:

Hanoi Power Corporation (EVNHANOI)
Address: 69 Dinh Tien Hoang , Hanoi
Tel: (04) 22200898
Fax: (04) 22200899

Ho Chi Minh Power Corporation (EVNHCMC)
Address: 35 Ton Duc Thang Street, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
Tel: (08) 22201177 / (08) 22201188 / (08) 22201199
Fax: (08) 22201155 / (08) 22201166

Setting up your electricity connection:
For tenants who are renting a property, the account will usually be kept in the landlords name and will be dealt with accordingly by them and the amount is usually covered in the rent. However, if you own your property you must arrange to change the current account details to your name, the help of a local is highly recommended in this situation. To set up a new account you will need the following:

  • Application form (available from any local EVN branch)

  • Proof of address

  • Certificate of house ownership or rental contract

  • Residency card or passport (foreigners also need a valid visa)

  • Copy of ID

  • Fee for any equipment related to electricity connection

The connection usually takes between 5 to 7 days to be activated after the application has been submitted.

Paying your electricity bill
A bill is issued every month – it is common practise for an employee from the electricity company to visit your home on a set date every month to read the meter. If you rent your property the amount will be added to your rent. If you own your property you must visit one of the following banks to pay your bill:

  • ViettinBank

  • AgriBank

  • Eximbank

  • Saigon Bank


Household gas is either provided by mains or by gas bottles. Gas is relatively cheap as the consumption is considerably less than electricity as its main and sole purpose is for cooking only.

Mains Gas
The set up and payment for mains gas is pretty similar to electricity set up and payment for mains gas is issued monthly by a meter reading. Once again it is worth finding a local or asking your landlord to help set up your account for mains gas.

There are 2 companies that provide mains gas:

Tan An Binh
Address: 60 Nguyen Thi Dinh, Trung Hoa, Cau Giay District, Hanoi
Tel: (04) 35371353
Fax: (04) 35371354

Address: 16 A Nguyen Binh Khiem Street, Ward 1, Go Vap District, Ho Chi Minh
Tel: (08) 35880123
Fax: (08) 35880122

Gas bottles
Most households use gas bottles as its much easier than setting up an account for such little use; one gas bottle is usually 11-12 Kg and the main company that provides bottled gas is City Gas.

City Gas
Tel: (08) 22215277
Hotline: (08) 2221385
Fax: (08) 22215386


The tap water in Vietnam is not safe to drink and so bottled water should be consumed.

All of the companies supplying water for household purposes are overseen by the Ministry of Health. Each part of Vietnam of has a different water company that provides household water:

Hanoi – Hanoi Water Limited Company
Hawaco - is the government organisation responsible for all the water supply in Hanoi.

Ho Chi Minh City - Saigon Water Corporation
Sawaco is the government organisation responsible for all the water supply in Ho Chi Minh City.

Setting up your water connection:
As with electricity, if you are renting the account will be held in your landlord’s name and dealt with accordingly. If you need to set up the account in your own name you must make the exact same steps as setting up your electricity. However, the connection time is slightly shorter with it only taking 3 to 5 days to be activated after the application has been submitted.

Paying your water bill
As with all utilities a water bill is issued monthly and is determined by a meter reading. All water meters are situated outside of the property allowing an employee of the water company to access the meter without hassle or the need for the tenants to be present. A bill is issued and can either be paid straight to the employee with cash or by visiting a branch of the water company.