Registering the Birth of Newborn in Vietnam |

Registering the Birth of Your Newborn Baby in Vietnam

If you're a new mom, congratulations! Here's how to register your newborn baby.

Posted on

18 May 2014

Last updated on 10 July 2019
Registering the Birth of Your Newborn Baby

If you’re an expat in Vietnam and give birth there, you will have to register your babies at the local or municipal Justice Service where the father and the mother reside.


The following documents are needed to register a birth:

  • Completed birth certificate application form
  • Parents’ marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Original birth certificate issued by the medical centre or hospital where the child was born. If the child was not born at a medical centre or hospital, the confirmation of a witness is needed
  • Applicant’s ID or passport
  • Family population book (for Vietnamese citizens), confirmation of temporary residence (for Vietnam citizens residing abroad), permanent or temporary resident card (for foreigners residing in Vietnam)

Parents can also register their children by proxy, so long as they give proper authorization to a family member to do it.

Once the Justices Offices receive all the information regarding the birth, the birth certificate will be signed and issued to the parents.