Fun and weird facts about Vietnam that you need to go and experience for yourself!
28 August 2017| Last updated on 28 August 2017
Vietnam is a gorgeous country with an ample supply of treasures and surprises to discover. Although most of them are not so weird, some of them aren’t for the queasy or faint hearted!
Here are 15 fun and interesting facts about Vietnam that you probably didn’t know!
1. Vietnamese cuisine is considered amongst the healthiest in the world
Featuring fresh herbs, a lot of vegetables and seafood combined with traditional cooking techniques that avoids frying and oils in their food, this cuisine is considered amongst some of the healthiest in the world.
2. They have half-hatched eggs for breakfast
Balut, a developed bird embryo that is boiled and eaten from the shell, is a common Vietnamese breakfast.
3. Vietnam is the world’s leading exporter of cashew nuts and black pepper
Vietnam exported 348,000 tons of cashew nuts and 180,000 tons of black peppers in 2016.
4. They eat what most Westerners consider pets - dog meat
Vietnam is the second largest consumer of dog meat with nearly five million dogs being killed. Dog meat is believed to bring good fortune in Vietnamese culture.
5. The world’s second largest caves, the Son Doong caves are situated in Vietnam
The cave is so big that a Boeing 747 could fly through its largest cavern
6. Some gifts are considered bad luck
Giving handkerchiefs, anything black, yellow flowers, or chrysanthemum is considered unlucky.
7. They drink snake wine for vitality
Ruou ran, also known as snake wine is a pickled snake in rice wine that is commonly drunk for health, vitality and restorative purposes.
8. It is easy to mix things up in the Vietnamese language
The Vietnamese language has six different tones. Changing the tone changes the meaning of the word.
9. Motorbikes are the most common form of transport in Vietnam
There are supposedly 45 million registered motorbikes in Vietnam.
10. Their unemployment rate in is one of the lowest of all developing countries in the world
Vietnam is listed as having the 32nd lowest unemployment rate in the world with only 3.70%
You might also be interested in:
- 6 Reasons Why Vietnam is Great for Expats
- Visit the Floating Village
- 10 Quirky Things I Miss When I Am Away from Vietnam
11. Vietnam has a literacy level of 97.3%
Even though Vietnam is a very poor country, they proudly boast with a literacy rate of 97.3% in 2016 for adults aged 15 - 50 years of age.
12. The Vietnamese flag has a lot of meaning behind it
Consisting of a golden star with five points, the different points represent farmers, workers, intellectuals, youth and soldiers. The red background pays tribute to the bloodshed during the wars.
13. Vietnam is the best place for coffee lovers
They are the second largest producer of coffee in the world and own approximately 20% of the coffee market share.
14. You get to bargain for a better price for most products
Bargaining is considered a way of life in Vietnam. Merchants frequently put an additional markup on their products in order to give buyers the opportunity to bargain for a better price.
15. The Binh Chau Hot Natural Springs get so hot that they can boil eggs
These hot water springs can reach a temperature of up to 82°C which is hot enough to boil eggs!