International branch campuses across Dubai have been rated on a new 1-5 star scale
3 July 2019| Last updated on 3 July 2019
Out of 17 international campuses, three received a 5* rating
The Knowledge and Health Development Authority (KHDA) will rate international branch campuses in Dubai on a 1-5 star scale, with 1 being the lowest and 5-plus being the highest standard.
The Dubai Executive Council announced the new rating system with the aim to raise the competitiveness of Dubai universities to top international standards.
In an article from Gulf News, His Highness Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and Chairman of Dubai Executive Council, said the development is in line with the vision of His Highness Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, for creating an environment conducive to outstanding academic achievement.
He added, “We seek to attract more prestigious universities to graduate generations capable of making a better future."
What do the ratings mean?
Here is Dubai's rating system for international universities:
- One star: Institution provides a good standard of education and has a good organizational structure.
- Two star: Institution provides a good standard of education and has demonstrated progress in core criteria categories.
- Three star: Institution provides a high standard of education and demonstrates strengths in core criteria categories while showing progress in advanced criteria.
- Four star: Institution offers excellent standard of education, demonstrates strengths in core and advanced criteria and meets pre-requisites in research and internationalization. Good job prospects for graduates.
- Five star: Institution offers a world-class standard of education and demonstrates strengths across all categories. It has highly regarded international research and teaching standards. Graduates are sought after.
- Five star plus: Institution demonstrates all the qualities of a five-star institution. It attracts high-performing students and faculty. Graduates employed in the public and private sectors.
New Dubai universities ratings
5 star universities
- London Business School
- Heriot-Watt University
- The University of Manchester Worldwide
4 star universities
- Amity University Dubai
- Middlesex University
- University of Bradford
- S P Jain School of Global Management
- Manipal University
- City University of London
- Birla Insitute of Technology Pilani
3 star universities
- Murdoch University
- SAE Institute
- University of Exeter
2 star universities
- ESMOD French Fashion Institute
- Islamic Azad University
1 star universities
- Shaheed Zulfikar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology