If you’re looking to lower your expenses, making small changes may help to reduce your ADWEA bill
11 June 2017| Last updated on 15 June 2017
The cost of living in Abu Dhabi is rather high and for many, it’s difficult to save. However, if you’re trying to reduce your expenses, there are certain things you can do that might help.
1. Use energy-efficient lighting by replacing all bulbs to CDLs or LED lights.
2. Always turn off lights in rooms that you’re not in and make use of daylight when possible.
3. If you have electronic devices that aren’t being used, either turn them off or, if possible, unplug them completely.
4. Don’t buy or use a laundry dryer and let your clothes air-dry in the sun.
5. If you pay for your air conditioning, make sure it’s cleaned regularly.
6. Try to avoid using a dishwasher as much as possible.
7. Take showers instead of baths.
8. Don’t leave the tap water running if you’re not using it.
9. When using the washing machine, make sure to wash full loads rather than smaller and more frequent ones.
10. Don't use the toilet as an ashtray or garbage. Whenever you flush down a cigarette or some facial tissue, you’re wasting about five to seven gallons of water.
11. Unplug all electronics and appliances (except refrigerator) from wall sockets.
12. Ensure that you have no taps or water faucets leaking. It’s best to close the main water inlet if possible.
13. If it’s during summer time, try setting the AC low enough just to keep humidity at bay.
14. Close blinds and curtains to maintain the temperature and stop your AC from turning on too much. Since windows let in light, they create excess heat.
15. Turn off all lights and lamps.
Using these simple tips can help you save somewhere between 200 to 500 dirhams per month, depending on the size of your apartment.
Make sure to verify your ADWEA bill every month to make sure there is no irregularity. If you ever get a bill that is unusually high, you can file a billing complaint with them.