How Freezone Employees Can Apply for the UAE Job Loss Insurance |

How to Apply for Involuntary Loss of Employment Scheme: For Freezone Employees

A complete, step-by-step guide on how Freezone and semi-government workers can apply for the UAE Involuntary Loss of Employment Scheme.

Posted on

4 May 2023

Last updated on 5 May 2023
How to apply for the UAE job loss insurance for freezone employees

Do you work for a Freezone company or a semi-government entity? This guide is for you!

The Involuntary Loss of Employment (ILOE) insurance scheme is a mandatory programme under the UAE Federal Decree-Law No. (13) of 2022.

Full-time employed workers in the UAE are required to subscribe to the insurance programme, which will pay both Emiratis and expat employees working in the government or private sector a cash sum for a maximum of three months if they lose their jobs.

SEE ALSO: The UAE Unemployment Insurance Programme Explained For Expats

It essentially acts as a financial safety net incase a worker involuntarily loses their job in the UAE, until he or she finds a new full-time job.

Who is eligible for job loss insurance in the UAE?

The UAE's Involuntary Loss of Employment Scheme is only eligible to specific categories of employees. If you classify as any of these, you can apply for the insurance program:

  • Full-time employed workers with a visa sponsored by their company.
  • Full-time employed government workers.
  • Full-time employed employees in semi-government entities.
  • Full-time employed workers with a visa sponsored by their freezone company.

Who are not eligible?

  • Part-time employees
  • Workers below the age of 18
  • Domestic workers (maids, nannies, home cooks, family drivers, house gardeners, etc.)
  • Full-time employees whose residency visas are sponsored by their spouse, parent, or relative

How to apply for the UAE Involuntary Loss of Employment Scheme

Apply for the Involuntary Loss of Employment Scheme as a full-time employed freezone employee with our step-by-step guide below.

  1. Visit the official Involuntary Loss of Employment Scheme (ILOE) website.
  2. A pop-up will appear which reads: "Do you work in semi-government entities or companies registered in a UAE freezone?" Click on 'subscribe'.
  3. The subscribe link should take you to the ILOE login portal. Under the "Individual" category, select "Non-Registered in MOHRE".
  4. You will be asked to sign up/sign in with your Emirates ID and phone number. After filling in your details, you will receive a OTP code by text.
  5. Sign up/login using the OTP code.
  6. Your ILOE profile will open. Fill in your employee details (your name, passport number, company name, basic salary, date of birth, etc.) to proceed. Your "category" will automatically generate based on your basic salary.
  7. After you successfully add your employee details, proceed with online payment for the insurance and add your email ID. You can select from several payment options or pay the full annual fee in one go.
  8. Upon successful payment, you will receive your insurance details by email.

Who are not eligible to claim involuntary job loss insurance benefits?

The following categories in the UAE are not eligible to claim Involuntary Loss of Employment (ILOE) insurance.

  • Employees who willingly resigned from their job
  • Employees who have been dismissed for disciplinary reasons
  • Workers who left the country
  • Workers who started a new job
  • Part-time employees
  • Investors
  • Owners of the businesses in which they work
  • Workers below the age of 18
  • Domestic workers
  • Retirees who receive a pension