Whether you've lived here for one year or ten years, there are plenty of tell-tale signs that you live in the UAE's Capital!
12 May 2016| Last updated on 6 August 2018
From erratic driving standards, to ridiculous amounts of iPhones and the comfort of answering your mobile phone in the cinema... These are but a few of some signs that you reside in Abu Dhabi. Capital of the UAE, this place certainly has some admirable traits, but there are a few habits that residents here tend to pick up.
And we’re all guilty of it each of them – don’t deny it.
So to provide you with some entertainment and somewhat self-realisation, we’ve gathered seventeen of the best points that truly sum up life in Abu Dhabi.
1. You use your hazard lights to tell people it's foggy, or raining
Because of course they can't see it for themselves!
2. You get sunburnt in December
But you need to soak up as much time in the sun as possible while the weather is still good!
3. You love the hot water from the cold tap as it's saving you Dirhams
Can't it just be like this all year 'round?
4. Rain is annoying because it makes your car dirty
It's like the rain was just waiting for you to wash your car!
5. You consider answering your phone in the cinema as OK behaviour
Everyone else is doing it...
6. Your Emirates ID expires before anyone has even asked for it
You might as well just leave it at home...
7. You have 3 mobile phones... And no landline
But landlines are so, like uncool and old school! But people need to be able to reach you ALL THE TIME
8. You are no longer impressed by a Lamborghini or a Maserati.
Oh, you have a Lamborghini? Good for you...
9. Umbrellas are really for sun protection.
True story - this is what they were actually made for!
10. You will happily drive over lanes of traffic to take your exit
Thinks to self: "Just wait, you are in my way and that's my exit!"
11. You forget what snow feels like
Snow? What is that?
12. You think 140kmph is SLOW for the motorway
This motorway is NOT meant for a lazy Saturday afternoon drive!
13. Your GPS shows you're in the middle of the desert... When you're on a main road?
Will GPS's ever catch up with all the new developments?
14. You can't see your toes any more
I think that's my toes? Maybe? Oh no... That's something else...
15. You've drank 14 carat gold at Emirates Palace.
Because why not?
16. Your area has ongoing construction. All. The. Time.
When will it stop?
17. You think that huge sandstorm will be the last day on Earth for you.
Now's a good time to get out of here...