Parent - School Relationship | ExpatWoman.com
 

Parent - School Relationship

0
Posts
EW NEWBIE
Latest post on 08 September 2016 - 11:03

Hi all, I'm new to this thread so I'm going to try and be as mindful as possible with the rules!

We are due to move to Barsha and started considering a school within the area, Dubai American Academy. It's the most accessible for us since both my husband and I have full time jobs. There was a huge accident that day so we were late but I called beforehand to inform them and they said that it was not a problem at all and that they would wait for him.

My child went for an assessment that costed DHS. 500 and barely stayed for 10 min. even though they stated that the assessment was meant to last 1 hour. I thought everything went well and eagerly waited for the result (they stated that I would get it the next day). 2 days after, I first got sent an email that was an assessment report of another child. I then brought it to their notice and they then sent me a generic rejection email without any further explanations. When I called to ask for details, I was replied to in a cold manner and told that my child didn't meet the DAA's standards.

We're a native English family and my child has already been accepted in other schools we had previously applied for (JESS, Royal Dubai & Wellington) but due to location issues we decided against putting him anywhere else. What baffles me is the system with which we were dealt with. As a parent, I felt positively cheated, frustrated and unfairly treated.

Has anyone had a similar experience to ours? Is this the norm for such schools and reports?

394
Posts
EW EXPLORER
Latest post on 11 September 2016 - 13:59
Absolutely write a letter of complaint to the Headmaster- ask for your money back.
8
Posts
EW NEWBIE
Latest post on 09 September 2016 - 04:20
I totally get, how frustrated you must be feeling. My son started DAA last year. If accepted, they usually inform you within 24hrs. At this time of the year most "outstanding" rated schools are full, specially in the lower grades. But you should definitely try and meet the Registrar. It's worth a try and if you are willing then ask them to put your kids name on the waiting list and they will again call your kid for an assessment next year. They don't change extra for the retests.
1170
Posts
EW OLDHAND
Latest post on 08 September 2016 - 12:57
Totally understand your situation and feelings, you feel let down by the school despite their "understanding" the situation over the phone, but they really didn't understand. You are within your right to request result/feedback on the reason of the rejection, and ask them on what basis they concluded this result on 10 assessment instead of and hour. Tbh, I don't think they worth your time, if this is their understanding for prospective parents, what about the actual parents of the school? i hope you can come up with the answers yourself on this matter
 
 

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY