Once you have found somewhere to rent in Dubai, it is your responsibility to set up your DEWA connection
25 June 2014| Last updated on 4 September 2017
The Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) is the only provider of electricity and water in Dubai.
Once you have found a villa or apartment and signed the contract it is your responsibility to connect the DEWA so that you will have running water and electricity. This is usually the tenant’s responsibility, unless it is otherwise stated in your contract.
You will be liable to pay a refundable deposit for the DEWA as well as a small connection fee. You will be able to expedite the process by completing it online, or go down to the DEWA office in person to deliver the documents. Usually the lights and water come on after a day or so.
Documents required to connect your DEWA
- Application form
- Signed tenancy contract copy
- Passport copy with valid visa page
In order to activate your DEWA online you will have to fill out an activation form and pay the deposit. Once your activation is processed the supply will be activated within 24hours and you will receive bills and notifications via SMS and email. Access the online form here.
SEE ALSO: How and where to pay your DEWA bill
You will need your ‘Premise Number’ which can be obtained from your landlord or real estate agent. You will also need to pay your deposit online via credit card. You can also upload a copy of your tenancy contract and passport copy with visa page. If you cannot upload the attachments online there is the option of faxing them through to DEWA on 04 324 9345.
Fees for DEWA set up
- Security deposit AED 2000 for an apartment and AED 4000 for a villa
- Connection fee of AED 100
- Admin fee of AED 10
- Housing fees – this fee is charged by the Dubai Municipality and will be a percentage of your total rental amount.
Important contact details for DEWA
- Queries on housing fees: 800900
- Complaints and feedback about DEWA: +971 4 601 9999
- Fax number for additional documents: +971 4 324 8111
- Website: www.dewa.gov.ae