Watch: Fire Breaks Out in Dubai's JLT Almas Tower |

Watch: Fire Breaks Out in Dubai's JLT Almas Tower

Smoke was visible coming from the very top of the recognisable Dubai skyscraper

Posted on

23 April 2018

Last updated on 13 November 2018
by Rebecca Roberts
JLT Almas Tower in Dubai

Fire fighters doused a fire that broke out in JLT's iconic Almas Towers on Sunday afternoon.

Yesterday's fire, which was in one of Jumeirah Lake Towers' and Dubai's most recognisable skyscrapers, reportedly broke out at 2.47pm, according to witnesses.

Almas Tower was evacuated as a result.

The event was confirmed by a Dubai Civil Defence official, The National reported: "“Fire crews were sent to the 64-storey tower to tackle the blaze, which started at 2.47pm. The fire started on the lightening rod of the tower and had been extinguished within 20 minutes,” they said.

While the fire raged, residents took to Twitter to share their videos and photos of the smoke coming out of the top of the tower.

Thankfully, no injuries were reported as a result of the blaze.

Despite ash flying off the tower into the street, and black smoke enveloping the front part of the building.

Did you know? The Almas Tower was completed in 2009, and was the tallest building in Dubai until the Burj Khalifa was finalised.

Fires in Dubai's skyscrapers

Following the Almas Tower fire, Major Firas Balhasa, Director of Central Operations at Dubai Civil Defence, said that the civil defence team is always on their toes to deal with any type of fire.

Residents of Dubai will be very much aware of the frequent fires witnessed across the city in previous years that emergency services have had to tackle; with the most memorable being the Address Downtown Hotel's New Year's Even blaze, as well as Torch Tower's two fires in less than 18 months of each other.

Because of the extreme heat during Dubai's summer months, it's imperative that residents and tourists alike take the necessary precautions to ensure no fire can begin. They can do so by making sure that their electrical devices are turned off before leaving their home or room, to ensure they do NOT flick cigarette's off the side of a balcony and residents should not have BBQ's on balconies or in enclosed spaces to prevent fire's occurring.