Here is how women can get their Saudi driving licence
29 May 2018| Last updated on 30 May 2018
Women have long been waiting for the time that they will finally be able to drive and now the time is almost upon us!
A royal decree was issued last year announcing that women will be able to drive as of June 2018 and work quickly started to get everything ready for the big day.
Women can now start registering to convert their foreign driving licence to the Saudi driving licence. Women who has an accepted international driving licence can simply convert their licence while everyone else will have to go for driving lessons and take the test.
What are the costs involved in converting your driving licence?
There are three options available when converting your driving licence. The amount is payable via SADAD payment from online banking, your phone or the ATM.
The options available to you are:
- 2 year license: SR 80
- 5 year license: SR 200
- 10 year license: SR 400
Once you have made the payment, print the proof of payment and take it with you to your appointment.
What documentation do you require to apply for your appointment?
Here is a list of all the documentation that you will require when making your appointment to convert your driving licence:
- Copy of Iqama
- Proof of payment
- Blood Test and Eye Test: You need to get these from a Saudi Government approved clinic. The clinic will charge you approximately SR 150 for the tests. The medical report should be uploaded to the Efada website.
- Driving License issued from a foreign country: This needs to be translated to Arabic, scanned and uploaded in PDF format
What are the steps to making an appointment to convert your international driving licence?
As of May 21st, 2018 women living in Saudi Arabia can make an appointment to convert their international driving licence at the Saudi Driving Licence Portal (SDLP).
- Go to the Saudi Driving Licence Portal
- Complete the form on the website, register the application and select a date for the appointment
- Collect a copy of all the above mentioned documentation and go to the closest Saudi Driving Licence office.
- Take the driving licence test. If your licence is acknowledged by the Saudi Traffic Police then you won’t have to take the test.
- Collect your licence if you passed the test or repeat the process if you did not pass
What countries’ licences are acknowledged by the Saudi Traffic Police?
Countries who are acknowledged by the Saudi Traffic Police to convert their driving licences are:
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
Happy driving ladies!