If you're driving in Saudi Arabia then being familiar with the road signs is a good idea
26 September 2013| Last updated on 7 August 2019
Road signs are universal, but some countries do however have some form of variants on some of the signs. Saudi Arabia is no exception to this, especially since some of their signs might be in Arabic!
For this reason, we’ve created a short refresher for you on road signs in Saudi Arabia.
The shape and colour of the sign can help give you an indication about what type of sign it is. These guidelines will help give you a some indication:
- Blue boards with white font: Used to mention different countries, cities or villages. These boards are also used for highway signs.
- Green signs with white writings: Streets within the city or neighborhoodThese boards are usually placed within the city.
- Brown boards with white writings: Indicate religious places or places of entertainment.
- White boards with black writings: emphasize upon important places like hospitals.
- The red boards with white writing: to denote “STOP”, “DO NOT ENTER” or “WRONG WAY”.
- Orange: Temporary traffic control signs.
- Yellow: School signs and warning signs.
- Octagon: The sign to stop.
- Pentagon shaped signs: Usually near a school to denote school ahead or school crossing zone.
- Round boards: Railroad crossings.
- Diamond shaped sign boards: Hazards and dangerous signs.
- Long vertical boards: Regulatory notices.
Just in case your Arabic is a bit rusty, here is what numbers look like in Arabic:
Warning signs give you an indicator of what to expect in the road ahead.
Prohibitory signs indicate speed limits and what you are not allowed to do on the road.
Mandatory signs indicate how you should drive and what you should do in the road ahead.
Temporary Warning Signs
Temporary signs are usually displayed where there are roadworks. These signs are only temporary and gives you an idea of what to expect in the road ahead.
Informative signs usually provide direction and gives you a sense of where you are and where you are going. Furthermore, it will also provide more information about the area you are in.
It is important to remember that these are only basic guidelines for users who are already comfortable with road signs.