Following a collaboration between Masdar and the Department of Transport in the emirate
10 January 2019| Last updated on 10 January 2019
Image credit: WAM
The region's very first fully electric passenger bus has officially launched!
It's the result of a partnership between the Department of Transport in Abu Dhabi (DoT), Abu Dhabi-based bus manufacturer Hafilat Industry LLC , and leading technology company Siemens.
The electric bus will serve a six-stop route between the emirate's Marina Mall, Abu Dhabi Central Bus Station and Masdar City, which is the Capital's flagship sustainable urban community.
The Eco-Bus will be seamlessly integrated into the DoT's existing fleet at first, and residents will be able to use it free of charge until the end of March 2019.
Image credit: Tech Arabia
Designed to withstand the heat and humidity of the UAE climate, the Eco-Bus is set to overcome key performance challenges for electric vehicles in this climate.
Here's what we know about it's design:
- The bus will seat 30 passengers
- It has a range of 150 kilometres per battery charge
- Solar panels are also used to power the Eco-Bus’s auxiliary systems
- It has a lightweight aluminium body
- A unique water-cooling system to optimise battery life and efficiency
- Has a highly energy-efficient on-board A/C system
- Has a gearless PEM motor - which means it is efficient, quiet and virtually maintenance-free
A milestone for the UAE
"The launch of the Eco-Bus is a milestone for the UAE in a number of ways," said Yousef Baselaib, Executive Director for Sustainable Real Estate at Masdar.
"Masdar City has been an incubator of sustainable mobility technologies, including the iconic Personal Rapid Transport system and the NAVYA AUTONOM shuttle vehicle. Now we are exporting solutions beyond the city limits with our partners for the benefit of the wider community."
You might also be interested in:
- Double check your bank statement if you use this bank
- These are the most affordable locations to live in Abu Dhabi
- Doing any of these offences in a UAE stadium could land you in trouble
"Helping the UAE deliver on its sustainability targets, including more environmentally friendly mobility solutions, is a key part of our mandate at Masdar and high on the agenda at Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week 2019, which will showcase opportunities for further convergence of knowledge and technologies in the pursuit of cleaner and more energy-efficient transport," Baselaib said.