Job loss during final year of School | ExpatWoman.com
 

Job loss during final year of School

1
Posts
EW NEWBIE
Latest post on 02 November 2016 - 13:06

My Husband has been made redundant recently & we finish up at the end of the year. Problem is my daughter is in her last year of her IB diploma & starts exams in April, 4 months after his job finishes. Distraught doesn't even begin to describe how I am feeling right now & I can't believe the timing. She has put in so much hard work over the past 18months & we really want to try & hang it out for the final 4 months without a job otherwise she would have to repeat the entire year somewhere else. Financially will take a big hit as we will need to cover all costs on our own including Schooling. Once our residence visa's are cancelled is it possible to stay in School on tourist visa? & how many times can you renew a tourist visa? I'm thinking we need to do it at least twice to get through 4 months. Also does anyone know of any reasonable priced short term apartments not to far out. Thanks in advance ladies.

177
Posts
EW NEWBIE
Latest post on 04 November 2016 - 18:58
Recently, a friend of ours lost his job, he requested the company not to cancel the visa for a few months so that he can look for a job and they agreed, he got rehired within 3 months, all the while his family staying in Dubai... but I am sure it depends a lot on the kind of relationship one has with the company. In this case they were just downsizing and he was an employee for years with them so they probably cut him some slack as good will. Hope something like that can work in your case if you share your predicament with the company!!
13
Posts
EW NEWBIE
Latest post on 03 November 2016 - 08:06
We went through this recently under slightly different circumstances, a sudden company and country change 4 months before GCSE's. You can't move her mid IB but there are options. We were lucky, the company were great and did not cancel hubbys visa until end of May, which gave us to end June before we had to leave, allowing my kid to sit all the exams. He had to wait for his gratuity, which they held until the actual visa cancellation. Insurance for them against us doing anything or getting debts and also it needs to go with the visa cancellation. We had to cover our own medical insurance for the last months too. We made sure our kid was fully up to date with the Emirates ID in school records, which is fine for the school year. Don't tell the school about any cancelled visas mid year, they only need to check beginning of the school year for enrollment and you are not going to be enrolling again anyway. For tourist visas, it depends on your nationality. I was prepared to do visa runs for the extra time needed for the school year to finish if necessary and you get 30 days after cancellation of your residence visa to leave the country. Don't overstay and it is DAYS, not calendar month. Just be careful to manage your dates. Each visa runs from day of entry, so if there was days left on the last one you can't add on to that with another month! I looked through the exam schedule and worked out which weekends we would need to travel, how long we could be out over spring break and half terms etc, so I had a plan before we found out the company would let us finish out the term by delaying cancellation. Our tenancy was up and we ended up in a small hotel apartment for a few months. We got a deal because it was long let, made sure we were close to school so we could give up the car and then dug into our savings to survive the transition. It isn't easy and requires some careful quiet juggling. You are not planning to overstay, or do anything nefarious, you just need to manage your kid's welfare. Don't panic it can be done. Not cheap but doable. I would ask the company to delay visa cancellation until you can get your daughter through school, with end of service benefits withheld until that time. If they allow it and it is all signed with the HR department, great. If not. You can still do it, it just needs some fancy footwork and will be more bother. But as parents we do what we have to do for our kids, right? If absolutely necessary you could leave at spring break, after that it is revision time in school anyway and she can study at home just as well, especially with technology today, and jut come back for the exams. You will sleep better when you have settled on a plan.
81
Posts
EW NEWBIE
Latest post on 03 November 2016 - 06:32
Hi Girlwanderer, I really feel for you and what you are going through. From personal experience, I know how stressful it can be. Unfortunately I can't offer any advice regarding the school situation. We ended up homeschooling our daughter but our situation is different than yours. However I wanted to comment on the stress\sleeping issue. I went through a situation a few years ago when I couldn't sleep and was under severe stress. I learned the hard way that if you can't sleep for an extended period of time and are under a lot of stress its better to go to the doctor then to just put up with it. After going through a sleepless period of a few weeks this time I did go to the doctor and I am glad that I did. You will manage to sort out the school situation; you might not know how yet but it will get sorted out. I hope that you manage to resolve the school situation quickly and that you are able to get some sleep and peace.Good luck with everything, I am hoping that something positive will come out of your challenging situation.
1
Posts
EW NEWBIE
Latest post on 02 November 2016 - 20:50
Thank you for your well wishes ladies, very stressful indeed & not sleeping at night due to my mind racing. We are trying to stay positive & have always had a everything happens for a reason attitude but this is definitely testing my normally positive self but I need to stay extra strong for my daughter right now. She has no clue what has happened as she would be devastated & I just want her to concentrate on her studies & enjoy her final 6 months. Thanks for the heads up on the School situation. I am running different scenarios in my head but keep coming back her finishing her year here.
118
Posts
EW NEWBIE
Latest post on 02 November 2016 - 19:52
I really feel for you, that is dreadful for you and your family - I can only imagine the stresses you are suffering. Is there no way the company would extend the redundancy by 4 months? Am sure you have approached that but just a thought....don't mention the problem to the school, Any school's in your home country she could transfer to for the final exams? It must have happened before and surely there is a way for her to transfer...although I understand that it would be very difficult and unsettling for her. Very, very difficult indeed, you have my sympathies entirely! Good luck, hopefully something will sort itself out for you.
1170
Posts
EW OLDHAND
Latest post on 02 November 2016 - 19:12
First of all DO NOT inform the school of visa cancellation, as per KHDA if you do so she will be out of the school immediately. If you are going to pay for her schooling then just keep paying as usual, and just keep doing the visa run. And once she finish the year give the cancelation paper to the school, so they prepare her file for transferring to your country/ give you her file as part of graduating from the school. This is all what I can tell you about this. All the best and sending cyber hugs towards you and your family
 
 

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY