40 Baby Boy and Girl Names Inspired By Greek Mythology
Some of these are very popular...
6 December 2017
Greek mythology is a very interesting topic of discussion, and an inspiration of many aspects in life. From tattoos to prom themes, almost each one of us has come across at least one thing related or inspired by Greek mythology.
Not only art and literature have been influenced by Greek stories, but also baby names. Most people might not notice it, but some of the most common and popular baby names are inspired by Greek mythology.
And here are 40 baby boy and girl names inspired by Greek mythology:
Baby Boy Names
- Apollo: son of Leto and Zeus, and god of music arts, prophesy, knowledge and enlightenment in Greek mythology.
- Ajax: was a Greek hero in Greek mythology and played an important role in Homer’s Iliad.
- Ares: god of war in Greek mythology.
- Castor: the twin brother of Pollux in Greek mythology.
- Damon: symbolizes trust and loyalty in friendship.
- Hector: the greatest fighter for troy in Trojan wars.
- Hermes: the god of trade and travel.
- Jason: a Greek hero famous for his role as the leader of Argonauts.
- Zeus: god of thunder and sky.
- Adonis: the name means ‘lord’ and it refers to a young shepherd who was killed while hunting a wild boar in Greek mythology.
- Atlas: a Titan who was punished by Zeus to hold the sky on his shoulders.
- Argus: the name means ‘shining’ and it refers to Argus the man who built the Argo and had a hundred eyes.
- Evander: the name means ‘good man’ and it refers to an Arcadian hero of the Trojan War.
- Glaucus: this name means ‘bluish gray’ and it refers to god of sea.
- Linus: son of Apollo, the name means ‘flax.’
- Okeanos: a Titan who personified the body of water. The name means ‘body of water.’
- Morpheus: the god of dreams.
- Melanthios The name Melanthios is derived from the Greek word melas, which means black and anthos, which means flower.
- Lycus: the legendary ruler of Thebes.
- Leander: lover of Hera.
Baby Girl Names
- Pheobe: daughter of Uranus and Gaia. This name means ‘shining and brilliant.’
- Rhea: mother of Zeus, and a Greek Titan.
- Selene: Greek goddess of the moon.
- Penelope: this name symbolizes marriage faithfulness, as it refers to the wife of Odysseus who stayed loyal to him even when he was away.
- Iris: goddess of sea and sky.
- Helen: daughter of Leda and Zeus. She was considered the most beautiful woman in the world.
- Hera: queen of heaven, and goddess of marriage.
- Gaia: goddess of earth and the primordial deities.
- Clio: daughter of Zeus and Mnemosyne. The Greek muse of history.
- Athena: Greek goddess of courage, law, wisdom, and justice.
- Cassandra: daughter of the king and queen of Troy.
- Aphrodite: Greek goddess of love.
- Atlanta: was a fast-footed maiden who refused to marry men who lost to her in the race.
- Harmonia: daughter of Aphrodite and Ares. The name means ‘harmony.’
- Hebe: daughter of Zeus and Hera. Goddess of youth.
- Hestia: goddess of hearth and domestic activity.
- Larisa: daughter of Pelasgus in the Greek legend.
- Nyx: daughter of Khaos. And one of the Greek goddesses of night.
- Thalia: a muse of comedy and pastoral poetry.
- Semele: one of Zeus’ lovers.