How to Get a UAE Birth Certificate: Expat Guide for Unmarried Mothers
A guide on whether giving birth out of wedlock is legal in the UAE, and how unmarried mothers can obtain birth certificates
27 March 2023
Unmarried and pregnant in the UAE? Not to worry, here's what you need to know.
Both married and unmarried mothers who give birth in the UAE can apply for birth certificates for their babies.
In this guide, we explain the two different application processes for unmarried mothers, which depends on if the biological father of the baby is known. Here is what you need to know.
Is it legal for unmarried mothers obtain birth certificates for their child born in the UAE?
Yes it is legal for single and/or unmarried mothers who gave birth in the UAE to apply for birth certificates for their babies.
Initially accepted in Abu Dhabi in 2021, the new federal law became applicable across the country in 2022 as decreed by UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan. The new law recognises the rights of single mothers to register their children's birth in the UAE, whether or not the father is known and regardless if the parents have a marriage certificate or not.
How to obtain a UAE birth certificate if the father is known?
If the father is known, the biological parents can apply for their baby's UAE birth certificate through a separate form without the need for a marriage certificate.
- Fill in a separate form which you can download from the Abu Dhabi courts website.
- Both parents must sign the application form's declaration confirming that they are the baby's biological mum and dad.
- Attach a copy of the biological father's valid Emirates ID and passport.
- Attach a document to prove the birth (hospital or home).
- Submit the application form
How to obtain a birth certificate if the father is not known?
A new UAE law was passed in October 2022 extending the right to apply for a birth certificate for unmarried mums even if the father is not known.
If the baby's biological father is not known and he is not in the picture, then an unmarried mother must apply for her baby's UAE birth certificate through a separate form.
- The mother must download this form from the Abu Dhabi courts, available HERE.
- Fill in the required details in the form and sign the declaration at the end confirming that the baby's father is unknown.
- The mother must a copy of her passport.
- Attach a copy of the mother's valid Emirates ID.
- Submit the completed form and supporting documents at any UAE typing centre or by emailing digital copies to [email protected]