Tips and Remedies to Ease Swelling During Pregnancy
10 tips and natural remedies to ease swelling during pregnancy...
22 October 2017
A woman’s body starts producing approximately 50% more blood and fluids during pregnancy to keep up with the fetus development needs, which results in swollen hands, ankles, feet, legs, and even the face.
Normal swelling, which is called Edema is perfectly normal, as the extra retention of body fluids is needed to soften the body, hence, enables it to expand during the baby’s development. Extra fluids also help the pelvic joints and tissues to open for delivery.
Swelling can happen at any stage of pregnancy, however, it starts to become noticeable around the fifth month. And though it’s extremely normal and common, you still can prevent it, or at least, ease it.
And here are some natural remedies to ease swelling during pregnancy
- Keep hydrated: Drink plenty of water, as it helps your body retain less fluids.
- Don’t sit or stand for too long: try changing your positions every now and then, to keep the blood and fluids circulating throughout your body.
- Massage therapy:get your swollen body parts massaged once in a while, to relieve sore and aching muscle.
- Opt for foods that are rich in vitamins C like: green and red peppers, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes, melons, and citrus fruits.
- Opt for foods rich in vitamin E like: sunflower seeds, vegetable oils, wheatgerm, sweet corn, almonds, and cashews.
- Dandelion Tea may prevent swelling. However, have it in moderation, and avoid it if you have a gall bladder condition.
- Reduce you caffeine intake, it causes dehydration, which makes your kidneys hang onto more excess fluid.
- Add more salt and protein to your diet, as they hold water inside the blood vessels, preventing it from leaking into surrounding tissues.
- Keep your feet above your heart level when lying down to relieve the swelling.
- Brush your swollen body parts to stimulate the circulatory system and relieve the swelling.