If you're interested in hiring a private tutor for your child while in the UAE, here is everything you need to know first
2 June 2021| Last updated on 15 June 2021
Are you considering hiring a private learning tutor for your child?
If you are a parent, whether to a toddler or a teen, we're sure this thought has crossed your mind. In fact, you're here because you have questions about hiring a private home tutor in the UAE.
With tough final exams, individual learning differences, and highly competitive admissions for select universities and colleges, having a good education compels students to take their studies beyond the classroom.
This is where private home tutors come in. They’re commonly sought after on our forums, but before you start looking for a private tuition teacher in Dubai or anywhere else in the UAE, read this first!
Why choose private tutors?
Getting a private tuition teacher in the UAE may be helpful if your interests falls under one or more of the following:
- You wish to enhance your child's education, building their knowledge and confidence.
- You want a personalised learning experience for your child, as private tutors offer individual attention and interaction time with students.
- Efficient learning for your child, so they may learn more in lesser time.
- To increase your child's aptitude for other subjects that aren't offered by the school, such as foreign languages and religious studies.
- To increase your child's aptitude in other activities such as music, arts, and sports.
- Your child is struggling in particular subjects and may need additional help academically.
- Your child's taxing commitments are causing them stress, and need an extra hand.
- Both parents are busy with work and other commitments.
- Both parents are not familiar with the study material, and require someone else who's well-educated in the subject.
Are private tuition classes allowed in the UAE?
Private tuition classes outside of approved tuition centres by the Ministry of Education (MoE) are illegal in the UAE.
Under UAE employment laws, employing private tutors' services for additional classes can be considered illegal employment in accordance with Federal Law No. (6) of 1973, Law No. (13) of 1996, Law No. (7) of 2007, and Federal Law No. (8) of 1980.
Article 13 of the UAE Employment Law states: "No non-national may be recruited for work in the UAE without the prior approval of the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation and without first obtaining a work permit in accordance with the procedures and regulations laid down by the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation."
It's no secret that despite private tuition being prohibited in the UAE, there are still many private tutors who engage in the illegal practice, typically from their residences.
To avoid facing fines, parents and students in the country are advised to avoid going for private tuition lessons from tutors without a valid work permit.
Private tuition classes during Covid-19
The UAE Public Prosecution said that private in-person lessons with tutors violate Covid-19 safety measures. Those responsible for organising private tuitions in the UAE, as well as those present, can receive a fine of up to AED 30,000.
Home tutoring sessions with non-immediate household members violate rules as this involves close contact through face-to-face meetings in private places and home visits.
Residents are called on to adhere to these safety guidelines to help reduce the spread of Covid-19 in the UAE.
List of approved tuition learning centres in the UAE
While private tutoring is illegal in the emirates, there are several approved tuition centres in the UAE you can bring your child to for coaching classes.
- Excelencia - ICSC or CBSE curriculum.
- Gore’s Tutoring - GCSE, IGCSE, AS/A LEVEL, MYP, IB, SAT, ACT and AP
- The Tutoring Club - GCSE, IGCSE, IB, CBSE, ICSC, etc.
- The Mega Brain Training Centre - CBSE, ICSE, IGCSE, GCSE, etc.
- The Tutoring Centre - IGCSE, GCSE, CBSE, ICSE, etc.
- Meccademia - CBSE curriculum
- Kip McGrath - All curricula
- Knowledge Quotient - IGCSE, GCSE, IB, American, and AP
- MetaMindz Blended Learning - All curricula
- Sylvan Learning - All curricula
In Abu Dhabi
- Kip McGrath - IGCSE, IGCSE, American, and UAE
- Sylvan Learning - All curricula
- Feynman Education - GCSE, IGCSE, A Level, and International Baccalaureate (IB)
- Shining Star Education Training - All curricula
- Carfax Education - GCSE, IGCSE, AS level, A level, American, and Swiss
- Duke Training Centre - University exam preparations, IGCSE, AS Level, A Level, American, English proficiency exam preparation, SATs
- The School Of Drama & Communications - Acting, Drama, and Theatre