Your Guide to Dubai's Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA)
7 January 2013| Last updated on 31 January 2019
The Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) is a Dubai government authority that licenses and oversees both private and public education in Dubai.
Based on the government's strategic plans, the KHDA was created to improve schools and other human resource sectors in Dubai. They aim to ensure quality and improve accessibility to education, learning and human development.
Since 2008, the Dubai School Inspections Bureau (DSIB), an arm of the KHDA, has been providing a comprehensive review of the performance of each school in Dubai.
About the KHDA's Dubai School Inspection Report
This school inspection report is published by the KHDA to provide parents with a comprehensive review of the performance and standards of private schools in Dubai. Each report gives an overview of the strengths, weaknesses and success stories of schools here.
This information is designed to assist parents in working closely with schools, as partners in their child's learning, and to help facilitate school improvement.
What is covered in the KHDA inspection?
The KHDA inspections evaluate the effectiveness of a school; its learning environment, the achievement of students, and the self-evaluation process of the school. KHDA inspections also focus on Islamic Education, English, Maths, Science and Arabic.
How are schools in Dubai rated?
- Outstanding: an exceptionally high quality of performance or practice
- Very good a high quality of performance or practice
- Good: the expected level of quality for every school
- Acceptable: the minimum level of acceptability required
- Weak: quality not yet at the level acceptable
What criteria does the KHDA use to assess schools?
The criteria includes:
- academic attainment in core subjects
- the attitudes of students
- the quality of school leadership
- Arabic provisions in the curriculum
What are the focus areas of KHDA school inspections?
The following are key focus areas of the KHDA's school inspections:
- Provision for moral education in the curriculum
- Provision for Emirati students
- Academic achievements of Emirati students
- Planning, teaching, assessment and learning of UAE social studies
- Provision for students with special educational needs and disabilities
- Academic achievements of students with special educational needs and disabilities
- Innovation within a school's curricula and reading literacy