Learn more about to rehydrate your skin from the experts at Medcare Dubai
4 October 2018| Last updated on 31 March 2019
Dehydrated skin will always look dull and lack moisture.
A very frequent concern we have is how to keep our face and body skin moisturized and avoid having dull dry skin.
General tips to maintain healthy, lively and hydrated skin are easy to follow as part of our daily routine:
1. Using sun protection of at least SPF 30.
Sun protection works best when applied 15-20 minutes before sun exposure and reapplied every 2 hours as still exposed to sun.
2. Using moisturizers for each skin type on daily basis.
All skin types including the oily skin need to be moisturized.
- For Dry Skin: Choose petrolatum, oil –based moisturizers
- For Oily Skin: Choose the water based moisturizers, which should be non comedogenic
- For Normal Skin: Choose water based moisturizers, containing some oil
- For Sensitive Skin: Choose moisturizer with medicinal or soothing properties, such as chamomile and aloe vera
In general moisturizers for our skin contain the following main types of active ingredients:
- Ingredients attracting water to our skin, mainly the Hyaluronic Acid which can be found in topical formulations, serum. And skin booster injections, which are performed by experts.
- Ingredients that seal the moisture into the skin such as the petrolatum jelly or lanolin.
- Ingredients that sooth our skin by filling spaces between the cells, linolenic and lenoleic acids.
3. Adapting a better bathing routine.
- Limit shower to 5-10 minutes a day using a warm instead of hot water
- Using soap-free cleanser or gentle soaps
- Apply moisturizer immediately after bathing
4. Daily intake of water and foods rich in water content.
Plenty of daily water intake as well as consuming fruits and vegetables rich in water content helps in re-hydrating your skin and body. Foods such as cucumber, berries and watermelon are a great way to bring moisture back to your skin.
5. Additional tips for dehydrated skin.
Exfoliating your skin regularly also helps in removing the top layers of skin that is limiting the absorption of the topical moisturizers you apply. This can be done either at home or doing the sessions of microdermabrasion in office. Moisturize your skin immediately after exfoliating.
Applying hydrating masks also works wonder for your skin. You can always follow a good exfoliating session with a moisturizing mask that is suitable for your skin tone.
Having hydrated, fresh looking skin of face and body is possible and can be done by doing few easy steps as part of your daily routine.
For more information or to book an appointment, please visit Medcare or press ‘Click to Contact’ to submit your inquiries.
Dr. Reem Al Kaddah
Specialist Dermatology And Venereology
MEDCARE Medical Centre, Motor City