Find out where to book a booster dose in the UAE, and what are the requirements for a Covid-19 booster shot
1 November 2021| Last updated on 3 February 2022
Keep yourself protected against Covid-19 with a vaccine booster dose.
Earlier in August, UAE authorities have urged residents to take a booster shot if it has been more than 6 months since their second Sinopharm or Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine shot.
Book or manage your Covid-19 booster dose in the UAE with our expat guide below!
What Covid-19 booster vaccines are available in the UAE?
In the UAE, coronavirus booster doses are available for the Sinopharm or the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, on an appointment basis free of charge.
Who can take the Covid-19 booster dose?
The Pfizer-BioNTech and Sinopharm booster shots are available for select groups of UAE residents who have taken their second Sinopharm or Pfizer vaccine.
- UAE residents and Emirati citizens.
- Elderly residents aged 60 years old and above
- Patients who are 18 years old and above in a long-term care setting.
- Individuals with chronic conditions/diseases.
- Domestic workers under the sponsorship of UAE citizens.
Do I need to consult with a doctor first?
Dubai residents do not require a doctor's approval to get a booster shot.
Expats in Abu Dhabi also do not need a doctor's approval, so long as it's been over six months since their last Sinopharm vaccine, said the Abu Dhabi Telemedicine Centre.
How long should I wait until I get a booster shot?
In general, UAE residents are recommended to wait at least 6 months between the last Covid-19 vaccine and the booster shot.
Dubai residents can take the Pfizer booster shot at least three months after their second Sinopharm vaccine dose, said the Dubai Health Authority (DHA).
Abu Dhabi residents who wish to take a booster shot must wait at least six months after their last Sinopharm vaccine dose. After six months has passed, Abu Dhabi residents have the option to choose between the Sinopharm or Pfizer booster dose
However, healthcare workers in Abu Dhabi can take a booster shot at least three months after their second Sinopharm vaccine dose.
Where to get your booster dose in Dubai
You must book an appointment in Dubai for your Covid booster dose at one of the seven DHA clinics offering the jab.
Appointments can be made via the DHA smart app (available on the App Store and Google Play) or by calling the DHA centre at 800 342.
How to book a Covid-19 booster dose in Dubai:
- Book through WhatsApp: Save the number 800 342 to your smartphone and start a WhatsApp message with it by texting "Hi". Follow the steps to book your appointment at a DHA centre near you. You will be asked to link your Medical Record Number (MRN) to your WhatsApp account, which will be verified through an SMS code sent to your phone. Reply "mrnlinked" on the WhatsApp chat once you have verified your MRN and phone number.
- Or, book through the DHA app: Download the DHA app (available for iPhones and Android phones). You will be asked to confirm your MRN number or add another MRN number to book the vaccine appointment. Once you've submitted and confirmed your MRN, simply follow the steps to choose a vaccination centre, and your preferred date and time for the appointment.
Where to get your booster dose in Abu Dhabi
In Abu Dhabi, a booster dose is required for UAE residents to retain the green pass status on their Al Hosn app.
To book your coronavirus booster dose appointment in the capital, you can apply through the 'SEHA' app (available on both the App Store and Google Play), WhatsApp, or by calling the centre on 800 50.
How to book your Covid-19 booster vaccine in Abu Dhabi:
- Book through WhatsApp: Add and save the SEHA number 02 410 2200 on your smartphone. Initiate a chat with the number on WhatsApp. You will receive automatic messages telling you what steps to follow to book your booster vaccine appointment.
- Or, book through the SEHA app: Download the 'Seha' app (available for iPhones and Android devices). Open the main menu and tap on the 'Covid-19 vaccine appointment' option. Select the vaccine (Sinopharm or Pfizer BioNTech). Select the medical centre you prefer to get vaccinated in. Fill in your details, select your appointment date and time, and confirm the booking.