Here’s how you can safely prepare refreshing squeezed juice this summer in Dubai.
8 May 2018| Last updated on 10 May 2018
Mouth-watering, quenching juices are not only refreshing during summer season in Dubai but also an easy way to consume nutritious fruits and vegetables; essential to a healthy diet.
To get the best of this fresh produce, it is important to follow safe handling measures; knowing that fruits and vegetables can get contaminated by harmful bacteria either during growth from the soil and water or after harvest during preparation or storage.
Most juices sold in grocery stores are pasteurized to ensure they are safe to drink. Thermal pasteurization, or heat treatment, is often used to destroy harmful bacteria.
Here are few safety measures to follow while preparing the refreshing juices.
- Purchase produce that is not bruised or damaged.
- When selecting pre-cut produce such as a half watermelon; choose only those items that are refrigerated or surrounded by ice.
- Store perishable fresh fruits and vegetables in a clean refrigerator at a temperature below 5°C.
- Refrigerate all produce that are purchased pre-cut or peeled to maintain both quality and safety.
- Cut away any damaged or bruised areas on fresh fruits and vegetables before using them. Produce that looks rotten should be discarded.
- Clean everything, including fruits, vegetables, cutting boards, knives, blender or juicing machine and glass or cup.
- Consider using a food grade disinfectant that will kill pathogens.
- Even if you plan to peel the produce, it is still important to wash it first so dirt and bacteria are not transferred from the knife onto the fruit or vegetable during cutting and juicing. Scrub firm produce, such as melons and cucumbers, with a clean produce brush.
- Dry produce with a paper towel to further reduce bacteria that may be present.
Call Boecker® today at 04 44 97 730 to register for a free Food safety and Hygiene Awareness session.