In order to practise driving before you have an actual license you will need a learning permit, here's how to go about getting it.
18 July 2013| Last updated on 29 June 2017
If your country is not on the list of approved countries who can swap their driving license or if you are a first time driver you will need to obtain a learner driving license in order to be able to practice with an instructor on the road. Omani nationals and expats are required to go through the process of being a learner driver before they can apply for their driving license and pass the test accordingly.
Steps to follow to request the service
1. Dept receives application and ensures it meets requirements.
2. Eye Test
3. Enter data in the computer system.
4. Fees should be paid.
5. Issue of the permit.
List of Forms and procedures required:
1. The applicant must appear in person at the officer’s desk.
2. Fill in the application form. Expatriates should approve the form by the sponsor.
3. Two photos with blue background.
What documents are needed to process
1. ID Card for Omani nationals.
2. Letter of Sponsor for expatriates.
3. Copy of the resident card.
4. Blood group.
5. Expatriates married to an Omani national (males to females and vise versa) should bring a marriage certificate or a birth day certificate of a child.
6. No objection letter from the sponsor with copy of his ID card for individual sponsorships.
7. Diplomats should provide a letter from their Embassy addressed to the director of Driving License Department for getting the license.
Special conditions if any applicable
1. Applicant must have completed the legal age for getting the license.
2. 17 years for light vehicles, 18 years for expatriates.
3. 18 years for motorcycle
4. 21 years for heavy and mechanical equipment
5. GCC citizens should have obtained a residence card
6. Omani nationals do not have to fill in the application form.
7. Only women can obtain a learners’ driving permit for auto transmissions.
8. Category of driving license for expatriates shall be compatible with the profession determined by the Ministry of Manpower.
How long will it take and what are the costs
The transaction does not take a long time depending on queues. The application form costs OMR0.200 and the fees to issue a learning permit are OMR5. You can renew an expired learning permit for OMR3.