We cover what are skin tags, what potentially causes them, and how to safely get rid of them while in Dubai
11 November 2021| Last updated on 6 December 2021
Like some moles, skin tags don't pose any health risks. These common growths on the skin are mostly found on places such as our armpits, thighs, neck, or near the eyelids.
While skin tags are harmless, there are those who might want them removed because of skin irritation, inconvenience, or aesthetic reasons. If you're looking for skin tags removal in Dubai, there are several safe and highly effective ways to see them gone under the expert care of a dermatologist.
Here's what you need to know about what skin tags are, their common causes, methods of getting rid of them, and where to get skin tags safely removed in Dubai.
What are skin tags?
Skin tags are painless, non-cancerous growths on the skin. They are soft harmless lesions that appear to hang on the skin.
They develop on both men and women, after midlife.
The surface of skin tags may be smooth or irregular in appearance. They are often raised from the surface of the skin on fleshy peduncles, or stalks. Skin tags start small and flat. Some stay small, and some grow bigger. They can range in diameter from 2 millimeters to 5 centimeters. Skin tags are usually flesh-colored or slightly brownish.
Where do skin tags appear on the body?
They appear most often found in the skin folds:
- Groin area
- Neck, in the case of papilloma colli
- Under the breasts
They tend to be more numerous on obese people and on those with type diabetes mellitus. They are formed of loosely arranged collagen fibers and blood vessels surrounded by a thickened or thinned-out epidermis.
Methods to remove skin tags in Dubai
Tiny skin tags may rub off on their own. Most skin tags stay attached to your skin.
In general, skin tags don’t require treatment, as they don’t become skin cancer. But irritation may occur if they rub with clothing, jewelry, or when shaving. However, the may bother for aesthetic reasons, especially in open areas such as the neck and eyelids.
The most common treatments to remove skin tags in Dubai are:
- Cryotherapy: Freezing the skin tag with liquid nitrogen.
- Surgical removal: Removing the skin tag with scissors or a scalpel.
- Electrocautery: Burning off the skin tag with high-frequency electrical energy.
All methods mentioned above are available at Dr. Kamil Al Rustom Skin & Laser Centre and performed by certificated, experienced dermatologists.
Removing a skin tag at home is not normally recommended, due to a risk of bleeding and possible infection.
What causes skin tags to grow?
The cause for skin tags still remains unknown. However, the following factors may play a role:
- Chafing and irritation from skin rubbing together
- Insulin resistance (syndrome X)
- Human papillomavirus (HPV)
- Sex-steroid imbalance, especially if there are changes in levels of estrogen and progesterone
Skin tags are also a common side effect of pregnancy. This may be due to pregnancy hormones and weight gain.
Fast facts on skin tags
- Skin tags are benign tumors of the skin.
- They commonly occur in creases or folds of the skin.
- They are not dangerous, but they can be removed for aesthetic and cosmetic reasons.
- Methods of skin tag removal include electrocautery, surgery, and cryotherapy
You might also be interested in...
- Birthmark Removal in Dubai: These Treatments Give Instant Results
- What is Laser Biorevitalization and Where to Get it in Dubai
- How to Look 10 Years Younger With Forever Young BBL
- Acne Scars Treatment: RF Microneedling in Dubai
- The Varicose Veins Treatment in Dubai That Is Quick and Effective
- Dry Winter Skin: Eczema, Psoriasis, and Tips to Prevent It